587,603 active members*
3,967 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Employment Opportunity / RFQ (Request for Quote). > RFQ (Request for Quote) > North America RFQ's > CNC Turning - .75" diameter RC engine cylinders and pistons.

CNC Turning - .75" diameter RC engine cylinders and pistons.

I am building a set of 10 2-cylinder 2 stroke engines and need some cylinders made. I have attached dxf files and can provide IGS files if necessary.
    I need 20 made for the 10 engines. CRS will work.

What is a quote for 20?
    Once the first order is complete - what would a second order later of 20 or 40 cost?

The CRITICAL dimension is the interior diameter of the cylinder. The piston is a turned, ground and polished (TGP) at .500 inches. The interior must be less than .4995 - I will hand hone the cylinders for a final fit.
    I hope for 100-300 per year and build up from there - depends on sales.

Shipped to Ogden UT 84401

I will also need 20 pistons and 20 contra-pistons - drawings to come later. Basics are 1/2" diameter TGP, bottom milled out with endmill (just a plunge cut) and cross hole for connecting rod pin. Contra-piston is .376 length of 1/2" TGP with a groove cut on the outside. No drilling - just groove and cut to length.

Quote some or all.

I have hobby CNC equipment that I have been making prototypes with and need to ramp up production.

Thanks
    Jerry J
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cylinder Drawing.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Aero-Technologies West

I would love to quote this or any similar parts that you have. Please email me with expected turnaround, and we can discuss options for qty both now and down the road. You can email me at [email protected]. Thank you for your consideration!

CRS is good enough? I got me some learnin' to do.

Hello Jerry,
    I would like to quoto to you of this project.
    Could you please send the 3d drawings to me by e-mail,and what material are you need?
    [email protected]

Thank you very much!

Robert

Time frame for delivery is 3-5 weeks.

Thanks

PM on its way..............
    http://www.scpconcepts.com

Jerry,

Could you please forward the IGS to our email [email protected] We are an Upstate NY, job shop with quick turnarounds and many capabilities. Check us out at Northern Machining Inc. - Custom Machining, CNC Lathe / Mill, Welding, Fabrication, and more...

Chad

I took the time to draw and re blueprint to his specs for his part. Here are the files in zip format.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanDa View Post
    I took the time to draw and re blueprint to his specs for his part. Here are the files in zip format.
    did you get him to sign off on your work ?

if who ever gets the job and goes by your drawings and they're wrong then what ?

They are designed to the specs on the blueprint. I am just trying to help out and make it easier for people to quote his job by providing a part that matches his print. I pmed him yesterday to provide him with the files and have yet to hear a response so I was jut trying to be helpful. Look at the PDF and it matches exactly how his looks in the section views.

I agree with holbieone! It is a great gesture if you just went and did this on your own, but I also hope that you got permission before posting.

If not approved first and there was no discussion it seems as though it could be a bit of a slap in the face to Jerry, who already had time in his own drawing.

I would be careful of just doing this in the future even though it may have been to help. Not trying to slam you in any way, Sean, just things to keep in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanDa View Post
    They are designed to the specs on the blueprint. I am just trying to help out and make it easier for people to quote his job by providing a part that matches his print. I pmed him yesterday to provide him with the files and have yet to hear a response so I was jut trying to be helpful. Look at the PDF and it matches exactly how his looks in the section views.
    i'm not doubting your work

just questioning how much liability are you willing to accept

Gentlemen,
    First – thank you to everyone who provided quotes on the cylinders – ranging from $25 to $18 per piece for 20 of them.

Second – I should have posted the IGS files and not the 2-D dxf files. Easier on everyone since 3-D IGS seems to be the new norm – I got that now. We still deal with 2-D here in the military – unfortunately.

Winks – thank you for your useless post – CRS vs 1018 – if you don’t know the difference then don’t clog the bandwidth. You seem to know more than the rest of us so good on you.

SeanDa – thank you for the post. I lost air speed and altitude and haven’t been able to look at the 3-D model. I see you use BobCAD. I have v25 running my hobby equipment on – very good program for the money any day!

I use Alibre to design the model and import to BobCAD to generate g-code.

Bottom line – I can generate the files but don’t have the equipment to make low rate production runs – try moving equipment every two years and you’ll quickly understand – go small!

I’ll post the IGS files. 20 of each part. Use TGP for the piston and conta-piston and you don’t have to turn the outside dimensions. Base your quote on +0 -0.0005 stock from McMaster Carr – about $20 per 6 feet plus shipping. Item 5227T262

Also – why won’t CNCZone allow me to upload IGS files – why should I have to ZIP them? Just a thought. So 1980's :-)

Thanks
    Jerry J

SeanDa,

Justl looked at your files - DAMN - now that is what I call customer service in anyones book! I convert 3-D to 2-D to post and you generate it back into a PDF and 3-D drawing - perfect!

Got a quote :-)

Jerry J

Jerry,

Along with the IGS to quote properly dimensioned drawings are needed for the pistons. Is the cylinder already awarded or are you still accepting quotes?

Chad