587,833 active members*
3,702 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC using xy table

Hello,
    This is my first post here so I was a little unsure if this is the right forum to ask. If it's not please forgive me.
    I'm trying to create a small CNC to work mainly with copper and perhaps aluminum. After some reading and thanks to CNCZone I figured out that the easiest approach for me will be to use a XY table, or slide table, whatever the right name is.
    I was wondering if anyone could help me to find where to purchase it, ebay perhaps? I already found one in a big hardware store here in the city where I live (Curitiba - Brazil) but it costs more than US$500. Which is too high for me.
    I thought in the beggining to go for three axis, I already bought 3 stepper motors, but if I have to use just 2, it will be better than nothing.
    So any advice to where and maybe even what I should buy would be great. I'm willing to spend around US$100 maybe a little more, I will probably have to add 100% to it because of shipping and importing taxes to Brazil :frown:.

Thanks and sorry for the long post.
    _____
    TaTs

If the table you were looking at was ready for your steppers to bolt onto, you should just buy it.
    If it was just a mill/drill type table with sloppy old standard screws and cranks, let it alone.
    You didn't mention the XY travels.
    Is this what you were looking at?
    http://www.kbctools.com/can/PDF/can0454.pdf
    This is CDN prices.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

The one I found fits more in the second category you described. I would have to fit the steppers into it. The pdf you pointed is pretty much what I need. As for the XY travel the metal pieces I will work with are not bigger than 2"x3". So I don't really need a big table.
    ____
    TaTs