588,386 active members*
5,468 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > CNC work on Larger JET milling machine

CNC work on Larger JET milling machine

I am not doing any cnc work now, but I am awaiting the purchase of a JET mill (check it out)
    http://www.medfordtools.com/jvm836.html

Can't grab it until Jan 6th (bonus day at work). I will need to hook this baby up with some 1000oz in steppers and a controller / power supply setup. Speaking of which, have any of you done this to a larger mill like this, if so, any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Currently (as per my previous post) I have Turbo Cad 9.1 and will need to be able to convert the 3D renderings into G-Code…net, net, I will need everything excluding the Mill, and a Pentium IV to get started.

Thanks a bunch guys

John
    Chicago Burbs

Hi gang,

I was one of the guys that grabbed turbocadcam, wow, it's really nice (especially for the $$$$.

I just wanted to re-fire up my question about what type of controller/stepper motor setup anyone would recommend to power a 1600pound JET mill JVM-836-1 (see previous post for web site) I have been given a recommendation by a guy who sells the controllers and power supply. He shot me a price of $650 without the stepper motors. He said I need 1000oz motors and the best price I can find on them is 350 each, that puts the whole thing at $1700. Any suggestions
    :drowning:

I would go with servo power. You could run the table with some 600oz/in servos in 2:1 ratio. That would give you a peak of 1200. Are you going to power the knee for the Z axis? I would. If so you can go larger or maybe have a 3:1 on the Z axis.
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I am totally unfamiliar with servo motors and just what is needed to operate them. I just got the whole stepper thing down pat. I know that a signal has to be sent back to tell the program (controller) where the servo is, as to how, I have no idea. Can you (any one) point me in a direction, or am I being lazy and there are thousands of posts out there describing just this....I'll check in the mean time.

Thanks

PS

Is the setup you suggested cheaper than the $1700 I mentioned?
    PPS I made that router collet, works great, thanks a bunch for the plans Jeff

Thanks a bunch

John
    Chicago burbs