587,997 active members*
1,942 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Concept Turn 55

Hey, i've recently discovered my school is in possession of one of these lathes. They appear to be rather good and I am starting to get to grips with the software interface but I am still having major issues trying to actually understand the workflow.

Say I have a DXF of a part I exported from Solidworks, how would I generate a toolpath from this DXF? The software seems really poor to be honest.

I am also having an issue with the tool changer. It's stuck on tool 0 when I enter NC mode in WinNC and when I try to manually change it to anything else using the software the machine makes a sound as if it's going to start moving but then doesn't actually do anything and just gives me a tool change timeout error.

So to sum up, how would I fix the tool change timeout error and how exactly do you generate toolpaths?

Extra information: I'm using the CAMConcept (WinNC) software that came with the machine and the machine itself is a late 2007 model that has seen no use whatsoever apparently and is connected to the PC via Ethernet.

Doesn't anyone know?

For example a problem I am having now. I am simply trying to program to turn a piece down to a certain diameter and I am getting a strange issue "4034 2: turning cycle diameter too big". I even get the same error if I try to reduce the diameter by 1mm.

Reading the manual that means I need to set a cutting depth but there is nowhere for me to define a cutting depth in the software. I also still have the issue with the toolchanger.