588,219 active members*
3,925 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Confirm Dialog ?

Hey, sometimes when I save an assembly to a new name it asks me to confirm overwriting a bazillion parts files. What's this all about? I've gotten to the point where I just say "Yeah, go ahead. Make my day".

Also, I combine parts from a couple of library folders, one for universally common parts and one for parts that are specific to what I'm currently building. During the course of adding parts to my assembly, Alibre ends up duplicating parts I have used to both folders. I've just accepted this and try to do maintenance based on my original folder structure. Will this come back to bite me in the end (literally)?

I may be off base here but I think I know what happens. Based on file structure in Alibre it is trying to write data in the part files used in an assembly about the assembly link. Therefore it must do one of two things. Either overwrite the origianl with the new file including the assembly link or write a new file in a new location (like in the same folder as the assembly).

I think this is a more recent problem from an update where users were complaining about having to close files they had open while their assembly was open at the same time before it would update. The only real way to track would be if the part file had information linking it to the assembly.

If this is the case then it may bite hard :bat: if the file is used in many assemblies and then overwritten by each assembly with the last linked data. (nuts)

I am not certain of this yet but it is beginning to look more like this theory is what is happening.

I am pretty sure that the part file contains no record of where it is used in assemblies.