587,773 active members*
3,266 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Converting from Ulitmax to Winmax controls

Converting from Ulitmax to Winmax controls

Hello everyone. This post is for the Ulitmax 3/ Ulitmax 4 users wondering about the new WinMax Control. I went to tech school for two years where I learned basics of G&M code programming and have self taught myself on the Ulitmax 3 and 4 controls for 5 years making custom parts to production runs. My shop upgraded to the WinMax software on the Hurco HTX 500 4 months ago and this is my experience with the new software.

The Ulitmax 3 or 4 controls are pretty much the same thing being that they are both DOS base programming. The WinMax control is windows base and this is the biggest hurtle to get over between the two controls. When I first started using the WinMax, I was swearing at the thing. But the more I’m using it, the more I liking it. The biggest problem I had was navigating between the blocks while programming is quite a bit different and you need to make use of the full touch screen to be able to do it quickly. Also, saving and reading the programs in the “file tree” is different that the Ulitmax controls because it’s Windows base and not DOS. But once you get that figured out, it’s mostly down hill from there. Some of the new features with WinMax that I enjoy is you can add “blend moves” while milling left or right contours automatically using program parameters. You can turn this feature on or you as you like, however the default is set to on and I haven’t figured out how to change it to off cause that’s the way I like it most of the time. But when you need it, it sure is slick. The WinMax software also offers more tool descriptions in the tool set up page (I believe its 30), so now you can actually call your center drill and as a center drill and not a drill. You also have reamer, counter bore, counter sink, and engraver just to name a few. Another feature I enjoy is the change tool number function in the tool set up. Let’s say you want to move your .500” end mill from tool 6 to tool 16. Easy. Select change tool number, enter new tool number and all the tool info is transferred from tool 6 to tool 16. It also updates the program you have change to the new tool number, saving program editing time. I also like the new copy and past function in the program review page so you can copy and delete blocks quicker a easier than ever before witch comes in handy when editing the programs to reducing cycle time by reducing extra tool changes. One new option WinMax has that my boss is too cheap to buy is the Tool and Marital Database function. From what I read about it, It sounds like you can have a custom tool list and have separate speeds and feeds for different materials predefine kind of like you can with Gibbs CAM or Master CAM. I have not used it because we don’t have it, but I sure would like to give a try.

You also have new Solid Graphics to preview your program before running. But unless if you take the time to fill out the “stock material size” and “tool lengths geometry”, you will probably change the graphics settings back to wire frame like I did. But you can turn the “show run time tool” on and you can watch the tool cut the part while the program is running on the screen. I don’t know if it’s much use, but it sure is fun to watch.

One new surprised I found oust is the tapping cycle. We had the Ulitmax 4 control on the HTX 500 and the tap cycle wasn’t that great like all the Ulitmax control. Slow and inaccurate. They took a huge step forward addressing this problem when we upgraded to the new WinMax control. Now the spindle doses not orientate between each hole and the threads comes out better, you can acutely thread a thread gauge into the hold by hand! Even with a 6-32 at 600 RPM! Unlike the Ulitmax control where I had to slow it down to 300 RPM and sill had two chase threads by hand afterwards. And this was done only by upgrading the software on the machine, not the encoders, servomotors, or anything else like that. Weird.

According to Hurco, WinMax is now more compliable with “Fanuc” style coding that the Ulitmax in the NC mode but have not used the function yet so I can’t make any comments on this feature other that it supports more M codes in conversational programming (M99 and others).

There are some other things I prefer the Ulitmax control over the WinMax, but overall, the more I use it the more I like it. It biggest problem is getting over the learning curve from DOS base programming to Windows base. And if you want to transfer the WinMax program to the Ulitmax control, you have to “downgrade” the format type (.HWM to .HD3) which is a pain but not impossible. This is the single most reason why I do not like this software because Ulitmax 3 or 4 controls did not have this problem while transferring the programs. You can take the Ulitmax programs and upgrade it to WinMax control fairly seamlessly though.

There’s my 2 sense worth.

glovebox20

I too am a Hurco fan. Their programming system is innovative and time saving for the short run, tooling, prototype shop. If your goal is cool new stuff WinMAx might be your ticket. If your ROI is about parts making I'd consider a good off-line CAD-Cam system and one of the American made CNC machines.
    The price difference means you're buying another new CAD-CAM system with every Hurco. JMO

ML97

Hello ML97.

I was just wondering if you could tell me more aout your past work history. You have alot of posts on the Hurco threads and it seems like you know what your doing.

I agree alot with your opions and advise and you are great asset to forum. I exspecily agree with your comment abuot how Hurco's are great for short run, custom tooling parts, but when it comes to hard core production runs, I to agree that a Good G&M code machine with a good CAM package would be better. Mostly because you have workoffsets (G54 and others) and the CAM systems can offer better tool pathing options wich you can't find with Hurco programming.

Later

glovebx20

Ok. Been a machinist, shop owner, Programming Dept. Manager and for past 11 years self employed. I've spent most of my career as a programmer. I'm semi-retired and occasionally conduct programming classes for companies on the west coast. I worked for Hurco for 8 or so years as well as Makino and a few machine tool distributors as a senior AE.
    Thanks for kind words.

ML97

Quote Originally Posted by Motherlode97 View Post
    Ok. Been a machinist, shop owner, Programming Dept. Manager and for past 11 years self employed. I've spent most of my career as a programmer. I'm semi-retired and occasionally conduct programming classes for companies on the west coast. I worked for Hurco for 8 or so years as well as Makino and a few machine tool distributors as a senior AE.
    Thanks for kind words.

ML97
    Thanks for the reply. That answers a lot of questions I had about you.

glovebox20

Hurco WinMax Software

The Hurco WinMax Software current version is 7.1.6.8. (as of 4-15-2008)

Contact your local Dist. for an upgrade if you have early versions.

Brock

Quote Originally Posted by Brock_r View Post
    The Hurco WinMax Software current version is 7.1.6.8. (as of 4-15-2008)

Contact your local Dist. for an upgrade if you have early versions.

Brock
    The WinMax version I was reffering to was Version 7 of some type. But yes, if you have a older version of WinMax, you do want to upgrade if you can. I used a version 1 of WinMax and version 7 blows it out of the water when it comes to user friendlyness, and version 7 has better graphics to.

glovebox20

Hi, I mostly do wood work, but soon will have some part time access to a Hurco mill. (not sure which model yet).

Most of the work will be for hobby purposes.

Is there a simple way to pre-write the recipes on my windows PC using the Hurco programming method ?

In theory, I could do the progrramming in g-code on my laptop, but it would be really handy to just write the program in the Hucro "language" and take it into the shop where the machine is.

Thanks

Harry

Quote Originally Posted by harryn View Post
    Hi, I mostly do wood work, but soon will have some part time access to a Hurco mill. (not sure which model yet).

Most of the work will be for hobby purposes.

Is there a simple way to pre-write the recipes on my windows PC using the Hurco programming method ?

In theory, I could do the progrramming in g-code on my laptop, but it would be really handy to just write the program in the Hucro "language" and take it into the shop where the machine is.

Thanks

Harry
    Will you you be doing 2d or 3d work?
    If its only 2d you can programme at the machine in conversational, easier than writing out the g code. Depending on what control the mill has, you may have 3d option as well. For simple 3d work.

A couple examples:

a) Rectangular plate approx 300 x 300 x 25mm thick
    - Square up the edges and slightly round the corners
    - Skim down to thickness - 20mm
    - Cut 2 pockets about 50 x 50 x 10mm deep
    - Drill about 20 holes
    - Countersink, tap a few, etc.

b) Similar plate as in (a)
    - Skim to thickness thickness
    - Drill about 100 holes, tap, countersink
    - Mill 20 holes approx 30mm dia all the way through
    - Mill cut round shapes about 90% of the way through (the actual parts)
    - Flip plate and skim down the thickness to free the parts

At least, that is the thinking. I think this is 2.5 D ?

I can program at the machine, but I have to pay for "machine time" and am not that experienced, so if I can do this "off-line" or at least use a simulation on my laptop to practice writing the program, that would be handy.

Thanks

Harry

Quote Originally Posted by harryn View Post
    I can program at the machine, but I have to pay for "machine time" and am not that experienced, so if I can do this "off-line" or at least use a simulation on my laptop to practice writing the program, that would be handy.

Thanks

Harry
    If the Hurcos you'll have access to are able to read dxf files, you can draw the parts with a CAD system on your computer. Draw in 1 to 1. Then when your at the controller you choose the zero location, then choose the features you want to machine like lines and arcs, circles and holes. It's best to think ahead when drawing because sometimes you want lead on and off on lines and arcs, which is eaiser done on a CAD system.

Also, I usually have 2 to 3 drawings, or more, of the part I want to program in the same dxf file. Usually with different features using lead on and off for lines and arcs. Just change the zero location to each one when choosing that feature to insert a block for.

My Hawk 40 has this feature/upgrade and it is a time saver at the control when programing, especially when it's a complex contour.

That is a good idea. If only I knew how to use CAD. I learned drawing on paper but not CAD.

I guess I will just draw it up on paper and then pay for the extra time to do the programming on the machine for now.

It would just be handy to have a chance to "simulate" the programming method off-site so that I can make my mistakes at a lower cost.