587,401 active members*
3,191 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Coolant and way oil

I know this has been discussed before but I don't recall seeing what everyone is using? I'm going to order my machine next week but I don't know what coolant and way oil to order, or where to best get it. I know this is a longshot but I want low maintenance and long life. I'll be cutting AL aalmost exclusively.

I'm working out of my basement and my wife isn't going to be too happy if this stuff stinks the place up and I'm not going to be too happy if I've got to spend a lot of time maintaining/changing coolant. What are you folks using and and how well does it work?

Way oil: Mobil Oil Vactra #2
    Coolant: Rustlick WS-500A about $90.00 per 5gals
    but it you can mix 15:1 and it leaves a grate finish
    on aluminum and stainless.

It don’t stink.

Most Hobby guys buy the cheap coolant and it gets
    stinky fast.

Hangsterfers water soluble coolants are probably the best, no stink, I've been using their
    NeoSol 300.

I really like the kool-mist 77 stuff. It's been sitting in a big rubbermaid tub for months, and other than running a job once a week it sees no use. I top if off with water occasionally and other than that, great cooling and no smell at all.

We just use something labeled "multi-purpose machine oil 68" we bought from McMaster-Carr (#3025K34).

For coolant, we prefer the Tri-Cool TC-1 synthetic based stuff. There are times when we use the machine heavily, then nothing for 2 months, and we haven't noticed any smell.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by pzzamakr1980 View Post
    I really like the kool-mist 77 stuff. It's been sitting in a big rubbermaid tub for months, and other than running a job once a week it sees no use. I top if off with water occasionally and other than that, great cooling and no smell at all.
    same here... you can get it in a gallon and its been great! Very low to no VOC's so its safe too....

Vactra #2 way oil and Hangsterfer C500 for coolant at about a 1:20 ratio with water.

My first batch of coolant is over 12 months old with no odor but got gunked up with tramp oil. I installed a belt skimmer a few weeks back to see if that would help remove the tramp oil.

Mike

I machine mostly aluminum on my Tormach. I use Vactra #2 for way lube. Mobile-met S122 in a 7-10% solution for flood coolant. BTW I am way into my second 5 Gallon container of S122. S122 works very well for me on aluminum. For tapping I brush on Relton A9.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairns View Post
    I know this has been discussed before but I don't recall seeing what everyone is using? I'm going to order my machine next week but I don't know what coolant and way oil to order, or where to best get it. I know this is a longshot but I want low maintenance and long life. I'll be cutting AL aalmost exclusively.

I'm working out of my basement and my wife isn't going to be too happy if this stuff stinks the place up and I'm not going to be too happy if I've got to spend a lot of time maintaining/changing coolant. What are you folks using and and how well does it work?

Have you thought about an oil skimmer? about AU$300.00 will get you a decent one

Quote Originally Posted by _WALLACE_ View Post
    Have you thought about an oil skimmer? about AU$300.00 will get you a decent one
    I have, but the budget is blown at this point. That may be a purchase for down the road a bit. I think I've got some time before it's going to be an issue though. I ordered on Monday so my machine should be here next week, however I've got to do the disassembly thing and move to the basement, that's my biggest concern at this point. I'll sleep a lot better when that task is complete.