587,256 active members*
3,128 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

crashes and destruction

says it all 'eh, might be fun, our mishaps...

Kind of when the machine next to mine crasched and when the operator released the machine and homed it, the chuck fell off...HA ha , Think it is the third time the main bearings are replaced since the machine was bought in early 2006.. Cant be fun to crash so often and HARD.....

Try running a Mazak SQT15 at a feed rate of .120" per rev! I now know where they came up with the idea of the Disco Ball!
    Steve

oops

had a fork truck driver pull a die out of my mill. well it fell off the forks, and took out the control box, the controll box fell to the floor, min cost 15k

new 1" kenamill insert end mill twisted off in my peace gess it was not end cutting one and the 3/8 pilot hole was not enuf. o well live and lean. now i know there a difrence between the 2 but that y u go to school to learn so i don't feal that bad.

Was at a machine tool show. Across the asile was a lathe. I can't remember the little part he was making but they were standing in line to get the part.
    As I remember, it was a pencil holder with three holes in it, kinda round and just set on the desk. I went for a soda and came back, the operator was just standing there with his shop coat off watching people go by. They were still asking for the "pencil holder" but he was telling them, he was out of stock so he could not make any more.
    I looked over and along the bottom of the machine was pieces of stock. So I walked over and showed him the peices of material setting under the machine. He said, "Bend over a little and look under the turret, see if you can see the crack?" He had had a awsh__ while I was drinking my coffee.
    By the next morning, there was a new lathe setting in the same place and they were making pencil holders.
    Regards walt.

almost K.W.W (almost killed while walking by)

one on the guys wanted to make it easy for him self ...

he was setting up a part and he needed to pick up the diam. as his center .. .
    x0 / y0
    he put his indicator in ... went down and about 1" from the top ...
    and wanted to input ... 100 rpm ...

( the keys on that panel realy stink )

he input 10000 rpm ... without looking .... 2 bottons and she turns ...

something just blew in front of me and then i heard shatering sounds ...
    on the machine door that i was passing by ...

we only found 2 small pieces of the indicator display ring (dial ring )
    and the stud was still at the tool holder ...

The machine shop at work used to be underneath my office. When they would put a part on the lathe, it would shake the building. I never wanted to think about what would happen if they screwed up something on that lathe.

I saw this story about a demonstration of a voice controlled milling machine. The demonstrator set up a cut, gave a command and the machine went at max jog speed into the limits, throwing a full sized machine vice across the room. One of the spectators remarked "must have been something he said"

grabbed an inch end mill that we thought was carbide - already in the holder. Procceded to make a glowing mess in a part.

inverted x and z - procceded to sheer off a 3/4 inch aluminum shaft with a center drill. (that one was on my keychain for a while - good luck charm)

sam

punched a 6mm hss drill into an aluminium casting with our machining centre today, still learning to drive it , and I have a couple of 16mm inserted slot drill we use for decorations, another machine though,

If you run a Mazak lathe you may want to learn from this mistake.I was working in a small shop that had Mazak QT10. At the time I was pretty good at banging out the conversational programing. The bar feeder didn't work at the time for some reason. So I had the turret come up as a stop to pull the stock out to and then finish the cycle. The parts where thin compaired to the length so there was some out of round issues. The owner asked me to start with a short pull out to choke up on the part to solve the out of roundness problem then pull out to length for the cut off. I programed it and ran the simulation with no problems called it good and turned the machine over to the operator. First pull out and cut no problem. Second pull out to length the girl pressed the start button to complete the cycle. The rpms ramped up and the turret indexed right into the chuck. It sounded like a car wreck. Apparently in the upper right hand corner of the screen there was a feature called "change point" which I over looked. It would have sent the turret home to index. For some reason the default setting was "0" which caused the problem. After that the turret was knocked off 1 full location. My Mazak skills may have dulled over the years but I'll never forget the "change point" needs to be "1".