587,529 active members*
3,353 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > G-Code Programing > Creating G code for diamond faceting machine

Creating G code for diamond faceting machine

Hi everyone
    I have made a 4axis cnc faceting machine and want to engrave banlges and rings with vertical diamond tool. The problem is I do not know how to make the G code for that. I use Rhino and Rhinocam. Please help me how to do it, I tried to find any tutorials but no luck.

Thank you
    Mambre

If you're trying to replicate the design in your picture, doing it with an endmill instead of a diamond drag tool would probably work better. To me, those look like a lot of little oblong pockets. Draw them on the surface of your model in Rhino using the ellipse command, then choose them as machining regions for RhinoCAM. A Pocketing machine operation would instruct the tool to cut them to whatever depth you choose.

If you want to do diamond-drag engraving, draw the designs on the surface of your model using Rhino's line or curve tools, select them, then invoke an engraving operation to have the tool follow them on the surface of your metal. You might want to edit your G-code to take out the M3 commands that activate the spindle, if you don't want your tool to spin while it's moving.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Thank you for your reply but that's not exactly what I want to do. Please watch this video at 3.1 minutes OSMANLI MAK?NA 11 EKSEN CNC "KAL?TEN?N SEMBOLÜ" 11 AXIS CNC JEWELLERY - YouTube
    The spindle goes up and down and makes the circles using eccentric diamond tool. Some kind of plunging operation in rhinocam?

I watched some of that video (which was a lot longer than 3 minutes). But that looks like a very expensive high-speed high-precision six-axis mill with multiple spindles and an automatic tool-changer. You're using a home-built 4-axis machine. I don't see how you can expect them to perform the same way. Try doing what you can with the equipment you've got. Either that, or save up for one of those things.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

As far as I know that machine costs at least 80000USD and I do not mean to do the same engravings with my machine. For now I just want to use my diamond point tool to make circles.

Its not hard to do. If it is just circles or oblongs it is a basic pocketing program with subprograms and a axis rotation. Probably less than 100 lines of code.