587,787 active members*
2,981 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cutting Black ABS?

Hi,

Does anyone have experience cutting black textured ABS? I am currently contracting a company to cut my parts but I am considering purchasing a laser if it can do my job. I was wondering what the wattage to cut 1/4" black ABS would be?

I am looking at the full spectrum engineering lasers to do this. I contacted them but they said they don't recommend cutting ABS because it doesn't cut cleanly and produces unwanted smoke. I plan to vent the area and the cuts that I am getting back from my manufacturer now are satisfactory so I'm not sure why they would tell me this. The cuts are not smooth as glass but they look decent.

Thanks!

Smile G.Weike Laser Factory-Abby!

Hi,
    Would you like to send me some sample materials?Then we could test and introduce you the most suitable machine as your requirements.

I am Abby,from G.Weike Laser Factory.

Send you our contact detailes by Message.

Any questions,pls tell me!

Abby
    G.Weike Laser Factory
    MSN:[email protected]
    Web:laser engraving machine?laser cutting machine?cutting plotter at G.WeiKe

Quote Originally Posted by HakBot View Post
    Hi,

Does anyone have experience cutting black textured ABS? I am currently contracting a company to cut my parts but I am considering purchasing a laser if it can do my job. I was wondering what the wattage to cut 1/4" black ABS would be?

I am looking at the full spectrum engineering lasers to do this. I contacted them but they said they don't recommend cutting ABS because it doesn't cut cleanly and produces unwanted smoke. I plan to vent the area and the cuts that I am getting back from my manufacturer now are satisfactory so I'm not sure why they would tell me this. The cuts are not smooth as glass but they look decent.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Workshop.jpg   Workshop 2.jpg   Small Workshop.jpg   2nd Floor.jpg  

Give Full Spectrum Lasers a miss.

There are better companies out there.

G.Weike-Abby,

You cant just tell me if your machines can cut 1/4" ABS?

Bec Weir,

OK well why do you say that? I am looking at them because they are in my price range. I really can't afford an Epilog.

Quote Originally Posted by HakBot View Post
    OK well why do you say that? I am looking at them because they are in my price range. I really can't afford an Epilog.
    FSL have done several thing to other member here that are not good business practice (Offering bribe for good review, censoring post on their forum...).

I myself went to get one and stop after searching the internet and mostly because of people review in here. But I got the opportunity to continue at no risk to me except having to pay the difference for another brand I'll write a full review about it when I get to do my first few laser cut or when I gave up trying to make it work. At the moment, I'm still WAITING for them to decide to ship it.

But based on other people talking about FSL, except for the bad business practice, once you get it and it functional, it apparently work ok. I've read their controller card work pretty well. It still a Chinese machine, so they have some of their limitation in build quality, but I don't blame it on them as everyone else who offer affordable laser cutter is in the same boat.

IF their 5th gen laser cutter work well, it might be a good price/value compare to other brand and worth getting it and hoping you don't have to deal with FSL too much... But if not I would look at the other offering.

The first thing I was told when I got to a laser cut place and said I was in the process of buying one, the only thing they kept saying is to get the biggest build platform possible... So the 12x12 of the small cheap one is really small. Even the 5th from FSL is 12x20 and still small, but it have a removable floor, so it could maybe allow the best of both world. It all depend of what you need. Maybe you need more than 1/4 cutting power, then again, the FSL 60-90watt upgrade they plan might be perfect for this... It also have rotary attachment support.

So if you want to buy before my review (and other I hope) of their 5th FSL hobby model, it your choice, but I would wait 1 month so you get review on them. Else, if your looking for the small cheaper one, look at other alternative and find the people with whom you interacted the better.

Quote Originally Posted by mochouinard View Post
    FSL have done several thing to other member here that are not good business practice (Offering bribe for good review, censoring post on their forum...).

But based on other people talking about FSL, except for the bad business practice, once you get it and it functional, it apparently work ok. I've read their controller card work pretty well.

This and more.

"If" the machine works is the problem I had. I had TWO Deluxe Hobby Lasers not work and it took the best part of a year, three Motor Controll cards, two laser tubes, a Power Supply and the services of a local Electrical Engineer to get one to work. :tired:

Their service was really good, until I started to tell people about the problems I was having with their machines (on this Forum), then things got nasty.

The Retina Engrave Card and Program is bloody brilliant to use and they are constantly upgrading it from customer suggestions, which is great.

Would I buy or recommend people buy from them?
    Nope.
    They need to clean up their act, get their quality control isuues resolved and stop censoring their forum of any negative comments or problems with their machines and company.