588,190 active members*
4,172 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cutting carbide Rod

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, so firstly I will introduce my self. I work for Iscar Australia in the specials department and also have a very small home business which I just started last year. At the moment most of the work I do is very basic stuff, like grinding chip formers and second degree clearances and other not so difficult jobs. I only have a very basic tool & cutter grinder (Hapco). It’s Taiwanese. For now it does what I need to do, but I think I’m going to have to upgrade in the near future.

Anyway, I have a job which is coming up which I would like to take on but can't do it with my machine as it definately does not have the power to do it.

The job involves cutting 85pc's of 20dia carbide blanks. Does anyone know of the best way to do this? I don't have a lot of money to invest at the moment. I do have a GMC drop saw. Do you think it would be possible to buy a diamond wheel for it and cut in that?

I would appreciate any ideas.

Cheers,
    Nitec.

Is this 20mm dia. rod? (0.787 inch)
    Diamond cuttoff wheel on a manual or creep feed surface grinder with flood coolant. Lots and lots of coolant. 0.100 to 0.200 inch deep passes.
    Is the OD ground? If it is it makes fixturing easier (vee blocks).

But if you work in the specials dept. surely you've seen this done.

Bob
    You can always spot the pioneers -- They're the ones with the arrows in their backs.

Nitec,

Our tool room manager used a little trick for shortening solid carbide drills and endmills. He'd score the tool shank with a diamond wheel, then break the carbide (with a hammer) at the scored line.

Didn't work out very well.

CarbideBob's idea sounds much better.

wouldn't recomend trying your chop saw with out a large amount of coolant, we use a machine specificly for cutting rods. sub out the job to someone that can cut it. You could also use a wire edm mach. we have done that in the past

I was told, by the owner of one of the local tool grinding shop's, that he uses a tile saw for cutting carbide bars. Said he adapted a vice and an adjustable stop to it, and uses it several times a week. I'm considering this myself.
    Terry

Carbide rod cutting.

Hey,

That would probably do, but you would also wanna get some water from a pipe falling on the cutting area.

Also any jerks and the wheel will break as it will be fragile for impacts.