587,837 active members*
3,863 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Deskcnc & Gecko

Hello..

I currently have Gecko's 201 and was wanting to know if the DeskCNC software was compatible..... or do I need the Deskcnc controller?

Thanks

Moondog

My understanding is that the DeskCNC controller is an external pulsing engine for the software. It runs off the serial port using their software (only). They have a new USB version. The controller is the key since it outputs Step & Dir adn that will drive your Gecko's. If you want to run straight from the PC parallel port it won't work that way.

The DeskCNC machine controller utilizes a high speed dedicated hardware, microcontroller to produce a near perfect pulse stream up to 125,000 steps per second. It is a combined software and hardware solution running off either the serial port or a usb port using a usb to serial adaptor. The software runs on computers designed for Win 98 or later, including Win XP.

DeskCNC software also includes a very powerful CAM functionality that includes drilling, pocketing, contouring from flat DXF files, PCB drilling, trace isolation and routing from Gerbers, hpgl, 3D surface machining from .STL files, image color outlining for engraving and 3D surface from photos, based on shades of gray. The output from all these functions is G-code.

http://www.imsrv.com/deskcnc

DeskCNC does not require a breakout board as the controller card includes 7 relay outputs, a pwm spindle speed controller, 8 inputs, and a quadrature encoder input for synchronized motion such as threading on a lathe.

Fred Smith - IMService
    http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/hobby