588,130 active members*
4,911 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DNC/Dripfeed 88HS

Trying to get the dripfeed up and running using FadalDNC-CNC software. Despite the normal loading of programs being no problem at all, I cant get the machine to get past the few-hundred-lines mark. Its as if the PC stops sending or the machine stops reading.

Settings are as per instructions, baud rate is 4800 (fastest that is error free!). Can someone please give a step by step of how they drip feed their 88HS? Thanks.

Suggestions on better software would be nice too!

Edit - Out of desperation I just left the machine to 'buffer' up for the last 30 mins, the progress bar is still at 1%. I guess this means the software is loading in only a small part ahead in the program. This could explain it as this is profiling, so its flying through the program at a rate far higher than I have seen it reading in. I cant get the comminucation to be any faster, is there something out there where you can set a buffer? The machine has 400-odd kb of memory, so setting it to read 350kb ahead seems like a good idea...

1. Year of machine
    2. Controller
    3. Are you entering DNC 0,1,0,1 in the command line?
    4. Are your PC power settings shutting the PC down?
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

Hi, thanks for the reply! To answer the questions -

1) 1996
    2) 88HS
    3) No... just DNC. I will try this though.
    4) No

We continue to grapple this issue, and are finding that errors are getting into the code very occasionally. Somewhat unnerving...

Your settings must be OK if you can get through a few hundred lines, but I will post what has worked for me. I am using BobCad V17 on the computer that I use to send programs to the Fadal.

Data bits: 7
    Parity: even
    Stop bits: 1
    XON/XOFF: enabled
    DTR/DSR: enabled
    RTS/CTS: enabled

I am running at 19.2k baud rate with an RS-232 cable that is about 20 feet long.

One problem I had with one of my Fadals was that it would hang up at line # N100,000. I restarted the line numbers at N1 after N99999 and it has run through fine.

I would like to think it is a COM issue.
    Try using a short cable. If that doesn't work then try using a different computer or a different serial adapter..
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Make sure your rs232 cable has ALL the required wires and they are hooked up. Lots of people only use the minimum of 3 and to drip feed you need the whole port hooked up, because the computer sends data and then waits for the machine to send back a CTS signal and then the computer sends more . . .The RS232 Standard
    We're not in business to make parts, we're in business to make money, making parts is just how we do that.