587,997 active members*
1,913 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Do not buy Vcarve Proto work with BobCadCam
Page 1 of 3 123

Exclamation Do not buy Vcarve Proto work with BobCadCam

Do not buy! V Carve Pro a Vectric product as they are not compatable with bobcad cam .The problem is this simply stated Vectric can not read the dxf file from bobcad and any circles and text will not show up when imported into auto cad or Vcarve pro .And you will not be able to cut them i have spoke with both companys here and in England and they just blame each other and neither co intends to fix the problem!!! So......... BUYER BEWARE .

I also thought i would post this little comment: when i tried to post this warning on the Vectric forum it was blocked by them and i was not able to post it .It seems they do not like any post's unless the are warm and fuzzy and when there is a problem they try a cover up a good English tradition say what! At least bob cad can take one on the jaw !

I'm not surprised that they wouldn't allow that post!

When you have Vcarve you don't need to import into Bcad as you can create both dxf and gcode with Vcarve... it is stand alone as is Bcad.

I fail to see what one has to do with the other!!

You have it backwards if the file was created in bobcadcam and exported to v carve pro as a dxf file v carve pro can not read it and it is from there tech support guy Mark these were his words.

Export the dxf from bobcadcam as Version-12 dxf.

Create any 2-D dxf in bobcadcam, export the dxf from bobcadcam, then post it here.

Let's see If it will work with Vectric (or not ).
    Free DXF - vectorink.com

woffler,

Did you already buy Vcarve Pro?

The reason Vectric has free trial programs, is so you'll know 100%, that the program is the right choice for you to buy.

Did you import a DXF from bobcadcam, into the Vectric trial program?
    Free DXF - vectorink.com

I can not export as version 12 bob cad uses version 14 of dxf as per bob cad cam tech support.I will how ever export a dxf file for you in the only format available from bob cad as a dxf . file with circles in it what you will find is that some circles will come threw and others won"t or none at all.

Ok, post the dxf 14 version.

I might be able to get it to work for you, I'll try anyway.
    Free DXF - vectorink.com

Smile bob cad cam test dxf. file circles

Here is a test file there should be five .5 circles in the file and five .25 circles. open in v carve pro and let me know what you get .I wish it would work as i need it to .
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Switcher i did already buy it and i did test it but with something that did not have the circles in it .I have cut 2d and it will open the file correctly but from what vectric said v carve pro function's differently than cut 2d .
    Cut 2 d strips away any layer info and i guess v carve can not handle any dxf file with layers info in it even though the geometry is on a single layer.Does this make any sense to any one.

You have to explode the arcs, then save as DXF. See if this works for you?

So far, no go.

I open in E-Drawings Viewer, & CamBam & get only 2 circles, in both programs.

Won't import to Vectric, which I didn't think the version 14 would (still tried ).

I tried to convert to version 12 dxf, with A9Converter, the program said it converted ok, still didn't open in Vectric, but did open in E-Drawings & CamBam, still as 2 circles.

I'll try another...

Maybe someone else can jump in with other CadCam see what they get, when they import the dxf you posted?
    Free DXF - vectorink.com

Just a note, I've been working with A9Converter for about a year now, & have never once (until now ) not been able to convert a dxf to version 12 then import into Vectric products, Vcarve Pro, Cut2D.
    Free DXF - vectorink.com

Quote Originally Posted by woffler View Post
    Cut 2 d strips away any layer info and i guess v carve can not handle any dxf file with layers info in it even though the geometry is on a single layer.Does this make any sense to any one.
    V-Carve Pro imports .dxf files with layers just fine. You can also create and export layered .dxf files just fine.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Looks like a crappy export to me, as neither ViaCad or CamBam is doing a good job of displaying this file and I've found them quite good, even with some difficult dxf's in the past. The circles are coming in as arcs, which is odd in my view and some are not showing at all.

Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by woffler View Post
    Here is a test file there should be five .5 circles in the file and five .25 circles. open in v carve pro and let me know what you get .I wish it would work as i need it to .
    I opened this in AutoCAD and it only has two 1" diameter circles. And they aren't actually circle entities, but 360° arcs.

Edit: Used Acad 2009
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Here's the message box that my AutocadLT2002 throw's up when opening your file (no circles):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	92755

I just did a quick check of a v23 dxf file(with circles) into my various cad apps:

Solidworks2009 -- OK
    SW's Drawing Editor(Autocad emulator) -- NoGo
    AutocadLT2002 -- NoGo
    BC v21 -- OK

Dxf files can be opened in Notepad and there are references available that describe what's going on in the file... if you're up to a little snooping around.

Switcher, here's is one of BobCAD's example V Carve files exported to DXF. I don't believe this one has any full circles, just arcs.

I don't know what revision BobCAD's dxf exporter is working with.

EDIT: And no layers, I missed the previous replies

Ok, I got it working!

I open in CamBam

1) Edit --> Select All

2) Edit --> Polylines --> Convert to Polylines

3) Export new dxf from CamBam

4) Import new dxf into VcarvePro

Note:
    I still only get 2 circles

(CamBam [Beta 0.8] Rel 2)
    (Vcarve Pro Trial Version: 4.602)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ImportDXFvectric.jpg  
    Free DXF - vectorink.com

Like already said, those are really 2 - 360deg. arcs (open vectors), after imported into Vcarve pro.

Easy to close up, in Vcarve Pro.
    Free DXF - vectorink.com

Exclamation new dxf file

I talked to bbc tech support this morning he looked it up and said it was version 14 .Can some one with v23 /1493 build please make some circles .And save as a dxf file and import into there v carve pro or someone elses to see if it is a true program problem or a install problem so we can narrow this down a little ? Here is another file with the circles exploded and i got the same results just two big circles and there were 4 .5 circles and some .25 circles . Ahhh i am getting a headache !

Dusty

Page 1 of 3 123