587,943 active members*
3,366 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Does anyone reconize this controller and machine.

Hello,
    I am new to this forum. I have purchased this CNC machine pictured here. It looks older but well built and was removed in working condition from a trade machine school. I do not know much more than it is 800 watts, 20" x 18" x 4" travels. It was purchased at auction and I am waiting for it to arrive.
    I am used to working on old Fanuc G&M controllers. I will be producing simple parts from plastics and wood. I am told that this machine is PC based and I do not know much about the software. I am wondering what would be the simplest program to get me started, and inexpensive. I am not very good with CAD based programs so simple is best. Also, if anyone knows anything about this machine, please reply. It is made by Pheonix.
    Thanks
    Ed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6a_1.jpg   86_1.jpg  

I'm just guessing, but it looks like a centroid. They are not exactly the friendliest bunch, I wouldn't expect any help from them. And the logo on there looks like the University of Phoenix logo from some time back. I wonder if it is a trainer?

Hello,
    Thanks for the reply. It was listed with a Centroid machine and they looked very much alike. It looks rugged for the sized travels but I haven't seen it upclose yet. I will be machining mostly acrylic and need to get only +/-.010.
    It was taken from one of the Orage Country Flordia Vocational schools. It was a training machine. I remember one about that size at the Machine trades school I went to in here NY, but it was a DIY that the class built. I never got to use it then but remember it did pretty impressive work. I figure if it was in a school, it has to be halfway decent and is said to be removed in working order.
    I guess I threw the dice on this one...we'll see what I got when it gets here!
    Do you know anything about the type of construction Centroid uses? Probably a stepper design, hoping for ballscrews! I'd be bumming if it were leadscrews.

I think at that time centroid was mostly selling controls and steppers, so the machine itself probably wasn't made by them. I used to know someone that worked there, but he has left town.

Controller

Any Idea what is inside the controller in terms of quailty?