587,997 active members*
1,944 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Does Predator allow a file transfer via DNC?

I have a Dyna Mechtronics Dm2400 mill. I run BobCad v23 with a Dyna 2400 post processor (which seems to output the correct code to my eyes.). I have Predator as part of my BobCad software. Predator appears to have the ability to transfer via RS232 (DNC?). I have my baud rate, parity, and flow control set as directed but that is far as I go. I dont have any other settings to use that I know of. What are the other settings I might need? I am trying to transfer a conversational code if that is the correct term, it is not g code. I have the DNC worksheet here by my side and I am not sure what to do on the "string events" page or the 'constant events" pages. Are these pages usually left alone or does all of their parameters need to be changed to. I did find a chart in the back of my Dyna manual that does have some decimal, hexidecimal and other info I didnt understand. I ge

Yes, Predator can send/receive programs to/from your Dyna. If you've matched the DNC Properties in Predator (Baud Rate, Parity, Flow Control, Data Bits and Stop Bits), you should be OK. Your cable needs to be wired correctly.

What happens when you send from the Dyna to the PC? Get Predator ready to receive first, then send from the Dyna. Anything?

DC, sorry they found you out! Great song by Todd Snider if you have never heard it. Anyway during my attempted uploads or downloads I dont seem to get anything. I did try to load a small file (under the 900 line internal max?) and nothing happened. I didnt get an error either, not that I would (I really dont know what to expect besides the controller on my machine should go from "Ready" to "Mode" if the machine loads the file. I got some instructions on the upload download technique for this machine with its original software which I am not running on my pc (nor do I have it, however someone did just send me the dynacom.exe file that is supposed to be for transferring but there are 2 problems there, 1 being I am not sure if I trust the exe file and do I need to load an old type of software when what I have should work?). Part of my problem seems to be reliable information on these machines. It doesnt appear many have tried to interaface with the original hardware, most want to convert to modern electronics and go to Mach 3. I am just trying to learn. I did try a breakout board/tester on the output of the computer during an attempted dowload and I see an activity change on 2 pins it appears but no blinking, just from green to red. At the end of the transfer (when the predator page says complete and closes) the led's turn back to green. I was planning to connect it to the machine this morning and see what the pins do if I try to upload from the machine. In the properties section of predators DNC am I supposed to set up any of those charts "string events or constant events"? I left it at what ever the default was. I did find a chart in the back of my Dyna manual that might have some of that info but it is not clear as to what I would do with it. 1 other thing and this could be key. Somewhere deep in the manual it refers to the file name must end in .pgd. I have not changed any extensions, could that be the issue? Since the machine hasnt changed and only the computer it seems that might be necessary. Again spotty documentation and no experience on the users part makes this difficult and or confusing. I am stubborn so that might help!

Is your cable 9-25 or 25-25? If it's 25 to 25, you'll need to cross pins 2&3. If it's 9-25, 2 and 3 are wired straight through. Try sending from the machine to Predator first. Once you get that, the rest should be gravy.

9-25 RS232C is the configuration according to Dyna.
    pin 1 on machine to pin 1 on computer is chassis ground
    2 to 3 transmit data
    3 to 2 receive data
    4 to 5 RTS
    5 to 4 CTS
    7 to 7 signal ground
    I might have the flow control wrong according to Roberto at Dyna. About to change it and see. Supposed to be RTS/CTS "hardware.

OK I changed the flow control setting to "hardware". I have learned the exact process for an upload or download for the machine but dealing with predator will be new. I took my 13 line program in my controller and selected to upoad it to my pc into predator. If the cable is not connected or predator is not open, nothing happens. As soon as I open predator and select receive from cnc, the file starts moving in my controller window. Predator says it is receiving but I see nothing. Does this have to be licensed seperately with BobCad?

Here is Predator's wiring diagram for the 2400. I think your cable is wired incorrectly, contrary to what the Dyna guy says.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Predator Dyna 2400 Cable Diagram.jpg  

Wow. I havent tried that pinout. I talked to Predator tech support an hour ago but since my program came with my Bobcad, I have to get support thru them. So then I downloaded the DNC4U trial. I tried an upload after setting it up. I was able to receive something but mostly gibberish. However the support page said that was a step in the right direction regarding communication. But since I have this breakout board it should be instant to check this cable configuration.

DC, it looks like that cable was the trick. I did get to upload a 200 line file from my controler to my Predator. Now to try the other direction. I cant thank you enough for your assistance. This is making this machine coming to life a real possibilty.

Spoke too soon. I did get 2 files to upload just fine and they look correct, not gibberish like I saw in the DNC4U file (nothing wrong with DNC4U just isnt wasnt set up when file was received). It seems to show it downloading from the pc but I see nothing in the controller window. It also hangs at 94% in the pc window (terminal screen?) and never finishes.