587,375 active members*
3,671 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > EdgeCam > Dovetail Tool Definition?

Dovetail Tool Definition?

I recently started work at a shop that uses EdgeCAM and it seems quite limited in the range of possible tool definitions.
    Does anyone out there have dovetails defined? I need to mill a negative 5 degree taper and in the past I would have defined a dovetail tool, defined the surface, then let the CAM calculate the path.
    Can edgecam do this or will I need to use a custom tool with the required taper?

Any assistance is appreciated.

EdgeCAM should be able to do this. It would be alot easier to answer this if you sent a file and a little more detail on the milling cutter. I have done such things in the past, and it requires me to custom make a tool, hit the EdgeCAM icon on the geometry tab on the tool itself. THis opens up EC and you can draw your tool inside EC and tell it this is my tool shape.
    Mike W.

rc30fan:

There is a tutorial in Edgecam. Start - All Prog. - Edgecam - Edgecam Tutorials. It's not very good. Here is a training video I produced. You can download it to your desktop and double click to start the video. It's a self executing Video file.

http://www.tipsformfg.com/bin/EC-Form-Tool.exe

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

Thanks Mike,
    as soon as I get a break I'll check the video.
    For this problem I was able to find a tool with a matching profile but that wont always be the case.

'Preciate it,
    Shaun.