588,585 active members*
11,931 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Dripfeeding to a Prototrak MX3?

Dripfeeding to a Prototrak MX3?

Has anybody had any success with drip feeding from Bobcads Predator editor? I have been able to create, upload programs and cut parts with Bobcad on my Prototrak MX3, but when the program is larger than let's say 400 lines, the Prototrak comes up with an error. I've been told that Bobcad will drip feed and that the MX3 will accept dripfeeding but have no clue how. Also, if I'm able to drip feed the programs, is the MX3 able to perform 3d profiling?

Thanks,
    Scott

Well where should I begin ? I had preditor, Also V22 and never got it to send large files, its GONE now !
    with success. I had to copy & paste in V21 and send all day long.
    As far as the MX3 goes I don't know the limit, might be 500 events. I have the AGE3 and its 1500 to memory. But I bought a DNC key from SWI and can send endless files.
    If you go to program in/out what do you see ? With the DNC key you see the DNC option. Also with the key you can set the baud rate 2400, 4800, 9600, 11200 by running service code 37 (only if you have the DNC key from my understanding).Your question about full 3D is yes if you have the key also !
    Without its 2.5 axis move only. You also want to make sure you make no moves smaller than .0002, its a limitation with the controller.
    I hope this helps

Mark
    "I'll keep my gun, my ammo, my money, my freedom and you can keep the "CHANGE" !

sCOTT I RUN A PROTO TRAC SMX BED MILL WITH MASTERCAM X3 I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM BUT I CHANGED FILE EXE TO CAM AND AM USING A UBS STICK WHICH HOLDS THE WHOLE PROGRAM IN MEMORY, YOU JUST CAN NOT EDIT THE PROGRAM IF IT IS LARGE

Lightbulb

Robert,

We wish we had your newer machine, the MX-3 was early
    90's and the AGE-3 was later 90's. USB didn't even come out till around
    mid to late 90's, our machines have the old floppy drives. I believe the
    MX-2 & 3 had 720K floppies, and the AGE-2-3 had 1.44MB floppies. They are DOS based machines, yours is an XP machine, bet it's nice! I DNC through
    RS232, with the key you can from the floppy but kinda useless, 1.44 MB max unless you want to break the program into segments, say per tool. Depending on
    what you are doing, dictates how its done. Like I said previously only 2.5X without the DNC key on these older machines, sad but true.
    True .Cam .MX2 or .MX3 and .DNC

Mark
    "I'll keep my gun, my ammo, my money, my freedom and you can keep the "CHANGE" !

Quote Originally Posted by Swag View Post
    Robert,

We wish we had your newer machine

Mark

Mark, how true is that, although SWI gave me the option of upgrading my controller to an SMX.... for $9,000.00 So, tell me some more about the DNC key I spoke them a while back and they suggested the DNC option, I guess at the time the machine was new to me and it seemed like a patch for a bigger problem. As it turns out, this might be a huge help. If I have this right, I can use Bobcad to gererate the toolpath, set up the machine to accept it in DNC form, and start the dripfeed from Bobcad and the machine will take it as fast as it can use it? What about tool changes? Will I be able to do full 3D profiling like a 3D portrait, or a 3D car or something to that degree?

Thanks for the help!

Scott

sorry I could not help , I have a Bridgeport dx32 and have the same problem with memory everything runs off a floppy, How do you like running Proto trac I have been running them since 1991 it fun teaching others how to run them

Scott,

Give this a try:

Open the Predator Editor.
    Click on the DNC menu and select the Properties option.
    Set everything on the left according to the manual. On the right check the Wait for CNC option, making sure the Flow is set to Software.
    Click Next until you get the Finish button, then click Finish.

Then use the Send to CNC option from the DNC menu. That should help!?

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by NJC View Post
    Mark, If I have this right, I can use Bobcad to gererate the toolpath, set up the machine to accept it in DNC form, and start the dripfeed from Bobcad and the machine will take it as fast as it can use it? What about tool changes? Will I be able to do full 3D profiling like a 3D portrait, or a 3D car or something to that degree?

Thanks for the help!

Scott
    Scott
    yes you can send unlimited files, full 3D and has tool changes ! (you are the tool changer as you already know). I don't remember what I paid about 1000, to 1500, But I never got preditor to do it !! I had to copy and paste into V21 and send fine. Speed depend on the baud rate you set VS you feeds.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by The One View Post
    Scott,

Give this a try:

Then use the Send to CNC option from the DNC menu. That should help!?

Regards
    The One,
    He needs the DNC key no settings in the software are going to change the controller !@!

Maybe you should have read the previous posts.

Regards

Thanks for the help, I'll contact SWI.

OK, so a buddy of mine works in a huge shop where they just so happened to have a few Prototraks, and one of them had a DNC key. He borrowed it for me, I plugged it into the machine, doesn't seem to act any differently and I don't see a spot to "recieve DNC" in the in/out programs area. Do I need software as well or just the key? BTW, I plugged it into an empty RS232 in the back of the main panel, not the pendant, is this where it goes? seems like the only spot by the way it's designed.

Exclamation

No software needed, did you by chance have the mill
    in 2 axis mode MX2 , not booted to the MX3? Yes it does
    plug into the same area that the logic cables go to, not the pendant. Thats where you send the files too. Mine
    is on the left side behind the guard, when facing the machine.

Mark

Mark,

I was in MX3, no doubt. Are you saying that the cable coming from PC is supposed to be plugged into the main cabinet or the pendant, I've always had it plugged into the pendant and it sends programs fine just as long as they are small. I'm assuming that the DNC key just plugs into the empty socket on the back of the cabinet and nothing plugs into it,(or goes through it). Is this correct? I was able to send programs with it plugged in, also able to start running the program on the Prototrak even though it hadn't finished sending the program, at first I thought I was golden but it would only cut part ot f a program and then stop. If I send an entire program to the mill and wait for it to finish sending,( 850 lines of code or so), it will send and the Prototrak will say Recieved part #... but still only cut part of the program and park back at zero all. Is this the problem you had with v22 or would yours not work at all?

Your thoughts?
    Scott

2 other thoughts, you said in a prior post that in the recieve MX3, CAM area, that yours says recieve DNC with the key, mine does not.

Would you happen to have an instruction booklet that you could send me a few pages of set up info on?

Scott

Re-read the proir post G-code sent to pendant, DNC key into the side of the box where the logic cables go to. Also a few post back I listed the limitation (file size amounts), on MX2 ,3 and AGE2-3. Maybe you have a bad dnc key. If you have a shop near you that it came from look there. Or pm me you phone # I will call you. SWI sells manuals for about 75.00, there is a seperate book for the DNC. I won't even get into discussing Bob$crap.

Mark

Well, I got it running, it dawned on me that maybe Prototrak needs to reboot to see the key. Turned it off and back on and....whalla, DNC appeared in the program in/out section. So, I clicked on it, it listed setup, run and some other options, loaded a long program in and away it went. Cut right through 950 lines of code like wildfire! Now I just have to try a 3d contouring program and see how that works.

Thanks for all the help guys,
    Scott

No problem
    I forgot to tell you something, when you DNC cutter comp can't be used. Tool path (G code) is all figure out from tool geometry ! G41&42 are ignored or create errors, I don't remember been awhile,, either way it won't work.

Mark