588,548 active members*
5,748 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Dual router Heads on a 2006?

I've been searching around and can't seem to find anyone who has attached a second router head to their 2006.

I'm currently using a Hitachi M12vc and I'd like to come up with an attachment that allows me to add a second. Ideally it would be something that would not require adding a second Z-motor, screw, etc.

I'm using HobbyCNC 305oz motor and it seems the z should have enough power to handle the added weight.

I'm doing some light multiple duplication V-engraving in MDF and the current engrave time is 16hours. If I had a second head, I could at least cut that in half.

Any thoughts or a link to a thread I may have missed?

Thanks.

I have been all over this forum. Most of the time I've spent on here has been in the Joes2006 thread and those related to it. I don't recall ever seeing anyone mention a dual head setup.

Although I haven't built my machine yet, I'm sure you could probably have a dual head machine if the machine will support the added weight. I don't think the 305oz. steppers will be the problem.

Here is the problem: The size of each duplicated cut will be limited to the spacing between the router heads. Now, you could make a wider carriage to spread the routers apart more. But then you would limit your travel on EVERYTHING that you choose to run on the machine.

What is the outside envelope of your cutting area? If th eprofile you're cutting is fairly small, you may be able to do it.

Yeah, I'm just trying to double check so I don't reinvent the wheel.

The parts I am running are 11" wide, so I could easily have a dual setup along the x-axis and engrave 2 at once.