588,202 active members*
4,805 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: DX32 control

DX32 control

What is the DX32 control?I have never come across one.Is it a Bridgeport product?Is it pc based or what?
    Is there any descriptions of it on the net?
    Oops,just noticed I posted DX30.

Mark.

dx-32 is a dos based computer it looks and runs with a GUI (GraphicaL User Interface, it runs off of MS-DOS has a floppy drive built into it usually and has a very colorful screen, simple to program, a pain in the you know what when it comes time to fix it, pretty simple to work on although usually the machine it is attached to has really crappy way covers.

To elaborate, the DX-32 is a "single card" preprogrammed logic card that interfaces a PC to the downstream CNC via an ISA slot. It is based on the BMDC (Bridgeport Machines Digital Control) card. THis ISA card plugged into a generic 386, 486 or low speed Pentium motherboard.

This one single card could run a VMC, 2 or 3 axis mill or a number of lathe variants. Another version of the same card could also run a surface grinder. Pretty versatile.

The card was/is unique in that the same card supposedly would run VMC, lathe or mill soley by installing the proper software. It could run 2, 3 or 4 axis worth of drives along with spindle speed. It could also hard tap with the proper spindle encoder/feedback as well as thread when used on a lathe.

Service of the BMDC card is/was always pricey. Currently, EMI supposedly has the service rights to the card and is the sole service supplier who "knows" how it is programmed. Servicing the PC side is no worse than servicing a desktop PC - in most/many case, the motherboard and all the hardware are generic PC. We've transplanted used PC parts into our machines any number of times to 'fix' things.

The BMDC is interfaced to the real world via several breakout boards. These either accept or provide external signals to the servo amps, safety switches and/or encoders. IF you have a schematic, and are computer literate (it runs in DOS, forget windoze), the system electrics is pretty easy to troubleshoot.

SOme of the servo amp adjustments/tuning needs the help of a person who's trained in the vagaries of the device. HOwever, the external system components are essentially off the shelf devices that were integrated by Bridgeport (SEM motors, Motion Science drives, MIL spec connnectors etc).

There are some "special" boards that are fed by the BMDC and these vary depending on whether the machine is a VMC, lathe or mill. Were it not for the "uniqueness" of the BMDC, the system could probably be cloned and it would make a very nice DIY, self contained machine controller. When it was concieved, the system used "state of the art" programmable logic IC's and UC's - today these are essenatially low cost "surplus" devices.

Sadly, Bridgeport is no longer in business and Hardinge is not really actively supporting the system. The software, as it is and as it is supported/developed, is pretty much dormant. It would be nice if it were updated or perhaps offered in an "aftermarket" version but that seems to be out of the question. Hardinge has supposedly agressively guarded/protected their "rights" to the controller that they obtained when they bought the remnants of Bridgeport Machines when it went bust some years ago.

Through an arrangement with Hardinge, EMI is pretty much the "source" for service of the BMDC based DX-32 systems and they place a HIGH value (as in cost) on their work.

As is the case with a lot of CNC systems, some folks find the system and software to be elegant and effective - others take a contrarian view.

Considering that it is/was a mid 1990's based CNC controller that ran such full featured machines, on DOS no less, it was rather advanced, capability wise, for its day. It will still do today quite easily some things that current machine control retrofits have troubles doing with faster and better PC's and more sophisticated/expensive and bloated operating systems.

Once you get the vagaries and hysterisis out of the iron, the controller can do some very sophisticated things - afterall, it is a computerized system with closed loop servos.

NC Cams.Thanks for the description.It sounds a very useful control with as you say a lot of possibilities.I have not came across these in the UK but am now going to make some enquiries.
    Mark.

G-code Text print out from DX32 Control

I have one of these machines that I use every day. I Up graded it's Mboard with one from EMI along with a Hard drive running Windows 98 in the Background while the Machine runs from Dos. The Control can display a G-code line code display toggled from the (-) key. My Question is how can I Print this out or save this code to a file? I can save and print out a conversational program file without any problem, this is the only way I can generate the G-code directly from this machine. Is there another Way to do this?
    In dos a printer has to have a dos Print driver, but this machine is running Windows 98 in the background. If I have a printer attached to this machine that prints a Text file in Windows 98 will the old Dos Shift/printscreen work for this purpose?

CncTools

I suspect the machine is actually running Win 98 and running the DOS program as a window within 98E.

I"d be inclined to think that while you're in the DOS window, it SHOULD act like a DOS program. HOWEVER, our experince with the BMDC sofware is/was that the BMDC pretty much took over complete control of the DOS side of the machine.

The BMDC operating code is one complex program that is using DOS to communicate with the PLC that is built onto the BMDC card - the DOS communicates between the operator, keyboad, and the "back end" mounted on the BMDC card. The BMDC card runs the servo's and amps and interfaces the processor(s) that are mounted on it back to/with the PC "front end".

We did NOT find that the BMDC program multitasked well out of DOSSHELL - we never ran it in 98, 98SE or Win 3.11 for than matter. Keep in mind that the BMDC sofware was created before Win 9x was even a twinkle in some programmers eyes. It was meant to run DEDICATED on a simple 386/486 DOS machine with ISA.

If EMI has reworked the code, however, it may now behave well with Win 9x. Frankly, I wouldn't trust it. If/should/when Win decides to take control of the processsor, you could end up with a DOS program hanging or running wild - the BMDC protam is/was a DOS program that was NOT originally intenteded or designed for use within a multitasking environment.

IT was a DOS based KISS that simply ran the machine as a dedicated control system.

Try just about anything, but have your hand poised near the E-stop, just in case....