587,201 active members*
2,775 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Electric bill with phase converters - How much is yours?
Page 3 of 3 123
    Quote Originally Posted by viper6383 View Post
    Are you saying you you can maintain 95% eff from 0-100% load? You have an interesting product that seems to cover the problem of how much capacitance to have in a converter, but how do you counter the costs of one running at idle? Most converters than are decently balanced run at 90%+ eff with 60-80% load, but what about idle?
    For example, we are able to run a 8kW converter (out most popular unit) at 2A at 240V with a 7.5kW/10HP pilot motor. For smaller converters we run at an even lower ampage.

I didn't read through all of this so forgive me if this has already been said.

Firstly does your phase converter have an on/off on it? My Delsco does so it only runs when I have the machine on. Now I am an exception to the rule on this. I had a seperate power line ran out to my garage. I get charged small commerical rates which is about $.09 cents per kwh plus a $9.90 cent connection fee. So if I use zero KWH then it is a minimum of $9.90. I do not run any air conditioners or heaters, I run fans, a 10hp rotary converter, a Milltronics CNC mill, a small lathe, air compressor, grinder, welder, a few lights, tv, radio, etc. My average bill is $25.00

Now where they really stick it to you is if you pull a surge in excess of your rating. On small commercial if you have a demand that is over 50kw then they charge you $12.75 per kw you pull over that. My machine at full load cannot pull that so I do not have to worry about it. Now if you are running your power off of your house power, then you are classified as residential and the load is less, so you might easily be exceeding your limit and getting charged the high rates. I'm not sure this is your problem but it might be something to look into.

Damn, I completely forgot to update this thread. Sorry guys.

Turns out it was a mistake on PG&E's side. It's been awhile, but it was something to do with a billing error. They refunded all our money.

Good, I'm glad to hear you got it all worked out

Page 3 of 3 123