587,998 active members*
1,692 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

electronic quill lever

Would anyone be interested in an mpg type quill lever with pressure/vibration feedback (feel). If someone could make such a thing it could potentially turn some 3 axis cnc milling machines into versatile manual milling and drilling machines.

My problem is floor space is very limited in my shop and I'm guessing in many shops around the world. Buying another big machine to do manual milling/drilling would not work well for me, since it would barely fit into my shop. My cnc knee type mill has hand cranks on the x and y axis, but the z quill can only work in a program. If someone knows of anything that can easily turn my z axis into a workable solution for manual drilling could you please let me know about it.

If anyone else would like to see something like this, let your voice be heard here!

Thanks,

Frank

Frank,
    On my mill/drill, I have NO hand wheels and find it very convenient to simply use the MDI or Jog functions to do anything. This way, feeds are consistent and gives me better performance.
    If I want to drill, I usually just type in the appropriate code and let it do its thing.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Yes, I can appreciate making due with what is available, but in a machine shop where time is money, it is not a realistic solution, especially for repair work and one offs. Also, drilling deeper holes and certain operations can be more effectively done on a manual Bridgeport type machine with a quill.

They are still very popular in shops and I don't imagine them disappearing any time soon.

Frank

There are times when manual mode is really handy.

I am trying to find a way to do this on the mill I am "dreaming about" making.

frank on my bridgeport i am lucky enough to have a electronic handwheel that drives x y z and is great for doing manual work like your talking about.

I could live with electronic hand wheels if there were one for each axis (not just one wheel for all three), and if the z was more like a hand lever which moves the spindle a large distance with one stroke. Adding the pressure/vibration feedback to the z would make it the cats meow, and very close to a manual quill.

I hope your project goes well Harry. If you design something that works well, let me know please.