588,484 active members*
5,185 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

EMC2 home switch error???????

i am trying to put 3 home switch xyz on my gantry router and use emc2 to setup the home position. i have install the switch with a pull up resistor and everything. my problem is that when i home the axis, the table move and pressing on the switch. before it back off the switch, it pop an error"switch inactive before back off move". i am getting the same error for all axis. i have try both NC and NO switch but nothing work on emc2. i try the switch on "mach3 demo" and it work great with no error. it make want to buy mach3 instead of using emc2. any help on wiring switches on emc2 would greatly appreciated.

machine:
    gecko 210 driver
    nema34 motor
    cnc4pc c10 breakout
    48v power

Quote Originally Posted by autorouter34 View Post
    i am trying to put 3 home switch xyz on my gantry router and use emc2 to setup the home position. i have install the switch with a pull up resistor and everything. my problem is that when i home the axis, the table move and pressing on the switch. before it back off the switch, it pop an error"switch inactive before back off move". i am getting the same error for all axis. i have try both NC and NO switch but nothing work on emc2. i try the switch on "mach3 demo" and it work great with no error. it make want to buy mach3 instead of using emc2. any help on wiring switches on emc2 would greatly appreciated.

machine:
    gecko 210 driver
    nema34 motor
    cnc4pc c10 breakout
    48v power
    I hate to tell you to read the manual but that is how I got mine working. The critical information is in the integrators manual under configuration:ini file:homing. You need to read that information to understand how the variables that control homing work. EMC2 offers a lot of control over how homing works that Mach doesn't. More control means more complexity.

That being said, here is the relevant section from my ini file for the x axis
    HOME_OFFSET = -0.1
    HOME_SEARCH_VEL = -1.500
    HOME_LATCH_VEL = 0.250
    HOME_USE_INDEX = NO
    HOME_IGNORE_LIMITS = YES
    HOME_SEQUENCE = 1

This says that my home switch is -0.1" from X0, that I search for home in a negative direction at 90ipm, that once I hit home I back off and search again at 15ipm, that I don't use an index in addition to the switch, that I ignore limits when searching for home and finally that the X axis is the second axis to home. I have Z set to HOME_SEQUENCE = 0 and Y is also set to HOME_SEQUENCE = 1. So it homes Z first and then X and Y simultaneously. If I was sharing a switch loop between multiple axii, then I could not home two axii simultaneously.

I am using NC switches with two switches on a for each axis and the switch at my home is the same as the limit for that end. Each loop goes to a separate input pin.

Good luck,
    Alan

Off the top of my head I wonder if your search speed is too high allowing the switch to open again before homing is finished doing it's thing. You need to tell us more info about what you did and what settings you are using as well as what version of EMC.

i will try to play with the setup config ini file again tomorrow, the weather is too cold to play around in the shop. now my z axis home switch stop working, no respond at all even when i change to a different input pin. x and y still work. my x axis motor is mess up, it go -x ok but when it go in +x it just stall and make a whining sound. all these just happen today when i start it up to run some test on it. it drive me nut. my finger and toe is about to be frozen if i stay in the shop any longer. i will try it again tomorrow.

thanks everyone.

linux:
    emc2 ubuntu 8.04

current setting:
    home offset = 0
    home search vel = .1
    home latch vel = .06
    home ignore limits = yes