588,191 active members*
4,577 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

EMC2/Modbus......HELP!

Does anyone know how to get modbus working with EMC2? Take it easy on me fellas......I am new to linux......I am a Maintenance Supervisor at an aircraft manufacturing facility......Looking to do some control refits on some large profiling machines (CNC). Need lots of I/O points for tool changers, pallet changers and the like......any help would be appreciated....

Thanks,:rainfro:
    Paul

I don't think modbus is working with emc2.

Here is a bunch of supported hardware
    http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emc...orted_Hardware

they keep adding hardware as drivers are made. With it being open source - you could write drivers also.

I have the mesa board but have not played with it yet. I also have the pluto-p board but have only done a bit of testing with it.

emc2 has tons of flexablillity - can do servos and stepper. Also has classic ladder - ladder logic integrated into it.

sam

this is our project
    http://www.electronicsam.com/images/...DSCCurrent.JPG
    Here are some other retrofits
    http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emc...l?Case_Studies

Thanks any hooo...

Thanks for responding.....I'm sure I can make something useful with emc2.....I've been messing around with Mach3 but I don't trust the windows environment. Most plc control guys use win98 or 95.....Mazak is one of them....Some of the Fanuc plc stuff uses OS2. Linux seems like a better way to go. Low cost, stable and seems like we can use good hardware......What about Delta Tau? Anyone using that card?

Thanks....
    Paul:rainfro:

Gidday Paul,

sorry, I can't offer advice. I, too are just starting out in the emc world.

I would eventually like to the use modbus, so if you can suceed. I'd be interested in your methods.

Cheers,
    Tray

The new version of classic ladder is supposed to have modbus support but I don't know how to make the new version run with EMC2....anyone have any ideas?

The emc2 group too the a recent classic ladder build and integrated it into emc.. Talking to them a bit today they said that for modbus to work - a serial hal module would have to be written.

None of the deveopers have any modbus equipment to play with so someone with it would need to either donate equipment or write thier own. (and hopefully submit it back the the emc2 group)

sam