548,466 active members*
2,577 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Emco Compact 5 CNC lathe with tool changer - LINUX CNC, opto isolated parallel port?

Emco Compact 5 CNC lathe with tool changer - LINUX CNC, opto isolated parallel port?

Hey guys! I picked up this wonderful little CNC lathe! I want to protect the original electronics as much as possible, so before I do any conversion, since this can easily be controlled by LinuxCNC already, ( see: https://www.forum.linuxcnc.org/30-cn...nless?start=20 ) I want to be extra careful not to damage the original boards since they can be used and my lathe works perfectly : )

Are there any good opto isolated pci parallel port cards or some kind of opto isolated adapters I should look for? A quick search did not reveal too much.

Please forgive the picture being in the wrong orientation, for some reason the forum rotated it that way despite it being correct on my PC.

A lot of the work has already been done on the setup by others except I don't see anything about the automatic tool changer. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Re: Emco Compact 5 CNC lathe with tool changer - LINUX CNC, opto isolated parallel po

I'm currently looking for a small 500 watt 3 phase motor if anyone has any suggestions!

Re: Emco Compact 5 CNC lathe with tool changer - LINUX CNC, opto isolated parallel po

I don't know how easy it will be to convert that lathe to linuxcnc . Sam's configurations is for a compact 5 pc which doesn't have that big control panel and connects to a separate pc . I may be wrong but I'm guessing it will need a fair bit of tweaking to get everything functional

I have a tool changer on my compact pc , except it is only connected to use a manual push button through an arduino board , rather than fully automatic . If I spent the time at it I'm sure I can get linuxcnc communicating with it but I'm good with it as it is

Why not a DMM Technologies servo https://www.dmm-tech.com/

or

A SureServo2 (Delta) from Automation Direct. https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...%20asc&start=0
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA