588,219 active members*
4,202 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Encoder Wheel Replacement?????????

Encoder Wheel Replacement?????????

Finally figured out my machine alignment problem and it appears that the 250 cpr encoders that came with my servos are in fact 100 cpr. Sooooo, I'm replacing them with USD 500 cpi units. The old encoders are HEDS-5605-xxx I think made by HP. Does anyone have any idea where I can source new wheels for these things to increase the resolution and make them usable??? I kinda hate to circular file them when they can be upgraded. I guess another option would be a pulse multiplier???
    Cheers!
    billyjack
    :cheers:
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

I wouldn't count on a pulse multiplier to ACCURATELY take a 100 count system and turn it into a 500 counter as you won't necessarily know if the pulses are equally spaced....

Most of the encoders HP used were custom pieces and serviced ONLY as an assembly. I can't get HP to provide a printer that won't pull 1 sheet of paper thru it - I hardly think they could be relied upon to service an encoder component, especially if one was sourced as a surplus part (that was probably made in Taiwan in the first place).

Some things simply DESERVE to be recycled and maybe these have reached that point in time....

See: http://www.usdigital.com for encoders and components. I didn't see a HEDS-5605, but they have other Agilent (HP) components.

Ken
    Kenneth Lerman
    55 Main Street
    Newtown, CT 06470