588,141 active members*
5,623 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > ArtCam Pro > Engrave on a curved surface

Engrave on a curved surface

Can Artcam pro do v carving on a curved piece? I want to engrave some chair backs and i need to figure out if artcam can do it from a dxf and then specify the radius of curvature.

Thanks
    Matt

I dont think it can. V carving is a 2D toolpath. You could make the curve with a 2 rail sweep and apply the feature using the triangle form subtracted into the curve. Then machine the whole thing, or just the feature if the curve is already done, as a relief.

Todd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sample curve 700X584.jpg   sample curve 2 700X584.jpg  

Artcam does indeed have engraving features, with several ways to do this sort of thing. I have used them quite a bit for v-bit carving in the past, but seldom on irregularly curved objects.
    Getting a toolpath generated to do this is easy, getting the curve you program in to exactly match the curve of your actual workpiece is nigh impossible. With a v-bit even a few thousandths change in depth will obviously change the width of the cut as well, so even very minor changes in depth are noticable.
    I don't work with routers at all, but perhaps there is some kind of feedback sensor for controlling depth stop, or even a weighted/springloaded telescoping toolholder to keep even pressure - and therefore depth of cuts - over uneven surfaces? How is this problem normally solved? I have always wondered!

thanks guys i think i have gotten what i want with feature machining and just using a v bit, even though it isn't a v carving toolpath.

Matt

You can also try using the "machine along vector" toolpathing tool. It is a very simple way to do the same thing. It just follows the vector lines - like a pen plotter path - all you set is the depth.

spring loaded engraving

Quote Originally Posted by Stepper Monkey View Post
    Artcam does indeed have engraving features, with several ways to do this sort of thing. I have used them quite a bit for v-bit carving in the past, but seldom on irregularly curved objects.
    Getting a toolpath generated to do this is easy, getting the curve you program in to exactly match the curve of your actual workpiece is nigh impossible. With a v-bit even a few thousandths change in depth will obviously change the width of the cut as well, so even very minor changes in depth are noticable.
    I don't work with routers at all, but perhaps there is some kind of feedback sensor for controlling depth stop, or even a weighted/springloaded telescoping toolholder to keep even pressure - and therefore depth of cuts - over uneven surfaces? How is this problem normally solved? I have always wondered!
    Check this out:
    http://www.2linc.com/spring_loaded_engraving_tool.htm

"machine along vector" can not ... any new update ? to cut along vector on curve surface