588,086 active members*
4,390 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

engraving glass and a wooden plate

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDwON-IwybY"]YouTube- engrave_plate.wmv[/ame] plate engrave

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVLxKV_ThVY"]YouTube- sailboat_grapes.wmv[/ame] sailboat engrave
    takes about 8 minutes for the glass and about 14 min for the plate
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sailboat2.jpg   plate.jpg   grapes.jpg  

Great vids woodman, thanks for posting them. What were your speed and power settings for the plate, if you don't mind.

I was curious if your machine also had the larger drive gear for the x axis like my WK has, and I saw in one of your first vids that it does.

If you ever run out of stuff to engrave, try some flat rocks sometime.

Skip
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pics-007.jpg  

flat rock

My machine has that pulley arrangement as you say.
    The flat rock sounds interesting ,i will search one out.My machine(i asked for it)was converted to imperial measurement so my power setting were 35% ,speed was 34.5 in/sec and the scan gap or res was .oo39 which is close to 250dpi.
    It did an OK job and i was surprised as i had to focus on the highest outside edge of the plate because i knew the focus gizmo would hit my work piece(been there and have done it ,right after i bought the laser)
    I find the laser very amazing, I am not able to predict settings like the other cnc router so its a lot of trial and documenting---burning and cutting

great job

can someone tell me, can you cut glass with a end mill bit or a type of grinding bit. i would like to cut some stane glass in a shape with my cnc, i only have a router to do it with. can someone help

thank you

cut glass

you're in the laser section ,but i might be able to answer .
    You cannot cut glass either way cnc laser ---cnc router.
    a laser will engrave it but if you snap it it breaks up

You can etch glass in order to break it to the etched line with a diamond drag engraver.

Look at the second video in this post.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104920

Cheers,

Bob.

Question

I know nothing about lasers, except have seen a guy nearby who has a laser engraver and makes lots and lots of trinkets to sell.

Is it possible, or feasible, to purchase just a laser head which you could mount in a chuck on the spindle of an existing cnc mill? Seems like an easy way to get double duty out of an existing machine.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I have retrofitted a laser head to an existing wood router. Took a while to get all the bits together (ordered from all over the world) but it was fun - now all I have to do is learn how to use it.

http://www.cooperman.talktalk.net/files/27.htm

Tweakie.

CNC is only limited by our imagination.

how much do you have in to it $ ?

WOW, How much is it? I do the business of laser cutting machine, but usually the client will purchase the router form here. How did you do it? I think it is a great idear, I asked my engneer, he told me we can did it, but need to do it by ourslfe, I am sarching the easy procession to manage it.

Best Regards
    Casper Geng
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweakie View Post
    Hi Tom,

I have retrofitted a laser head to an existing wood router. Took a while to get all the bits together (ordered from all over the world) but it was fun - now all I have to do is learn how to use it.

Tweakie.CNC - CO2 Laser Cutting.

Tweakie.

laser--router

you have to watch as there is a safety aspect thats why lasers are enclosed and cnc routers are not ,i also looked in to it bought a separaete laser instead