587,920 active members*
3,615 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Extra unwanted moves

Extra unwanted moves

Can any one tell me how to get rid of the radius' as the end mill changes direction. I just want it to cut straight thru move over and cut back. I attached a screen shot of the extra radius moves.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

You can sometimes stop these by choosing the "start in center of workpiece" on the strategy tab which may be currently set for "start outside workpiece." If doing this causes the entire toolpath to not be created when you re-run the operation then you can create a rectanular "fixture" block just outside the workpiece opening (outside by a bit less than the cutter radius). This will keep the cutter from going outside and around the corner. - Terry

better for this application is 2D Conturing

In new SprutCAM 7 you can easily trim unwanted waste movements using open Job zones, constructed either from the part edges or vertical walls or both.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FBM_JobZones_08.png  

Quote Originally Posted by Live View Post
    In new SprutCAM 7 you can easily trim unwanted waste movements using open Job zones, constructed either from the part edges or vertical walls or both.]
    That's a nice feature.

The online help that describes how to use open Job Zones is very clear and easy to understand. The documentation for the new version is a big improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Live View Post
    In new SprutCAM 7 you can easily trim unwanted waste movements using open Job zones, constructed either from the part edges or vertical walls or both.
    Yes very neat, but that doesn't help me now.
    So let's ask this, what function do yo use to face a part on each end before you machine the rest of it's shapes and holes?

Quote Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
    So let's ask this, what function do yo use to face a part on each end before you machine the rest of it's shapes and holes?
    Actually I've not understood your question.
    Could you reformulate it please?

Quote Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
    If I just need to clean up the ends, I'll create a Finishing -> 2D Contouring operation. Then I add the top edges from the faces I want machined to the job assignment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.JPG  

FAcing

Yes, I'm running 7 now and using 2d contouring to face my part ends, it does exactly what I needed. I guess a lot of this is learning what all the features do. Thanks for the input.

R.DesJardin -

I must have missed your original post in December. I have had that same issue in SC2007, and the only way I could stop it was to create artificial "fixtures" to keep it out of certain areas. It was never a great fix, but it usually worked. That kind of extra motion is the most frustrating thing about SprutCAM that I have noticed. Not only is it wasted time, but it also affects the part's finish.

Does SC7 handle these types of areas much better? I have not upgraded yet because my understanding is that once I upgrade, my dongle will no longer work with the 2007 version. I don't want to make an irreversible decision if I'm not going to like it later....

Regards,

- Just Gary

SC7

Good news, in SC7 I've been using 2D contouring. This seems to be the solution and allows customizable lead in and out moves to be able to clear the workpiece. I have had no issues with SC7 and I'm running it on an old(2+yrs) laptop with XP on it.
    My biggest problem is probably not knowing which operation to pick to machine with.