587,699 active members*
3,557 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Facing or planer ruffing/finishing

Facing or planer ruffing/finishing

My question is, if I have a part like the one attached and wish to face the entire surface is planer finishing ruffing the right command? I notice it only runs the cutter over the area of the part that is selected and I cannot figure out a way to select the workpiece. Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

I wish I could see the part you've put up but, I'm having trouble un-zipping these types of files from some of the other helpful guys that have tried to help me find solutions to my SprutCAM problems.

This sound like something I've been struggling with for the past several days. I mean, setting up a planing operation; both the roughing and the finish planing.

I finally got where I can do the roughing operation so it works the way I want it to on the top surface of my part but, if I try to create a new finish-planing operation immediately after my roughing operation I'll start to get anything from collision warnings to real erratic behavior in the software itself.

Even if I do a copy and paste of the roughing operation and just go in and change the parameters settings I still can't get it to work.

I watched an online tutorial put out by Dukes4Monny that gives some slightly more detailed info on all the different input fields in the parameters setup page. It may have given me an idea about what I may be doing wrong.

I'll find out tonight when I go through the whole process again for the umpteenth time.

MetalShavings

Ok guys I have included the project. You want to use roughing plane and then go into 2D geometry and draw a box around the workpiece. Now insted of selecting the face for the job assignment, select "Job Zone" and select the box you drew. Also sometimes when you unzip a attachment you will need to remove the "~" from before the .stc in the file name, this may be the issue you are having with opening the file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Tormach View Post
    Ok guys I have included the project. You want to use roughing plane and then go into 2D geometry and draw a box around the workpiece. Now insted of selecting the face for the job assignment, select "Job Zone" and select the box you drew. Also sometimes when you unzip a attachment you will need to remove the "~" from before the .stc in the file name, this may be the issue you are having with opening the file.
    Hi Eric,
    thanks for posting this. SC is not able to open the project though.
    Here is a screen cap with the errors in SC.
    Not sure if it something on my end or something wrong with the file.
    Thanks for looking into it,
    Gerry

Oh yea, + 1 on removing the "~" from the file name. That's weird that it shows up in the file name?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails test1_e_mod.JPG  

please download the Latest Supported SprutCAM revision, the newest post processors, and tutorial solid models from the FTP site below.

ftp://sprutfiles:[email protected]

Once you have downloaded the new version, run the install. It should just install over the old version and they key should remain operational.

This will help you open the files

Which version of SprutCAM are you guys using? My reason for asking is that when I first loaded this software onto my computer and encountered problems, it was suggested that I download the latest version as was stated here.

I was under the impression that the software I'd been shipped was the latest version. And, after checking it out, I believe it is; so, that means I'd have to look for other avenues to arrive at solution.

In all fairness, most of the problems I've encountered thus far have been "User Error" problems but, the problems I'm facing now look more software related. It's the only way I can explain it.

For example: If I create more than three or four different operations on a part, I start getting what appears to be ghost-images of my tool; side by side on my screen's work area.

When I try to save files with more than three or four operation contained in them the graphic of my part completely disappears from the screen. I have to shut down the software and then reopen it and the file I'd just saved in order to be able to see part again to try to work on it some more.

Frustrating; absolutely frustrating. This may also very well be just some more user error but, I have no clue if it is or not.

I'm starting to wonder if I can just get my money back for this SprutCAM software and move on to something that's easier to learn; if there is such a thing. At this point it's causing more headaches than it's curing.

MetalShavings

In reference to the general suggestion that those with certain problems being displayed by the SprutCAM software do a download of the latest version and install it over the top of your existing version of Sprutcam:

Right now I'm desperate enough to try anything. If it solves the problems I've been having to deal with I'll be ecstatic. If it just creates another layer of unwanted problems, I can't begin to describe the mean and nasty thoughts that will go through my head.
    (Well, I guess I could but, what's the point. I just want to get it fixed and working without these damn cliches.)

I stated in my previous post that I was under the impression that the version of SprutCAM I was running was the latest version. I went back and double checked the numbers attached to my version and it turns out that the last five digits in the numbers listed immediately after the SprutCAM7 title end in the sequence, 45149.

I downloaded the version at the link provided by Eric Tormach and it seems that, that down load is incomplete or corrupted somehow; according to the error messages my computer kicks out when I tried to load it.

I did a search for the latest download version and I came up with another avenue to down load this "Latest Version" and it's a 400-plus megabyte download.

The last five set of digits on the tail end of this version are listed as 45786; where as the last five digits of the software version I'm presently using are 45149.

Does this mean that the version with the higher numbers is the later version? If so, would this be the version I would load over the top of my existing SprutCAM version?

Thanks in advance for your help; and your patience.

MetalShavings