587,731 active members*
2,824 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Fadal 3016L in my Garage
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Fadal 3016L in my Garage

Hello Folks, Just another update. In a previous post, I posted a pic of a aluminum truck toolbox that would be used as the coolant tank for the Fadal. Here is the finished product.....

Attachment 360606

The two trays are used medical trays. For filters, I used some Harbor Freight red rags and topped them with some green filter material from Home depot. For a pump, I used a utility pump from Harbor Frieght.

Attachment 360608

To prevent leaks through the handles, I drilled out the rivets, used some metal to metal epoxy and bolted everything back in.

Attachment 360610

Right now, I have about 15 gallons of coolant ( Qualichem Xtreme cut 252). But it looks like I could add another 10 gallons.

Here is the original latching handle location, now it's used for routing plumbing.....

Attachment 360612

Also, after trying out a bunch of DNC software, I've settled on NCFadal. This works like a charm on Fadals. You actually don't have to use the CD,# and TA,1 commands. Just press the send to control , from the software and it sends it automatically It also works on windows 10

That's it for now. i'm going to try a get a video of the Fadal going through it's phases sometime soon .... hang in there !!!!
    pete

Quote Originally Posted by slowtwitch View Post
    I'm not using a Fadal transformer. I had a T820 and took it out. I do have a transformer in there, but, it's just step down isolation transformer (240 volts to 120 volts), that I got on Ebay. I actually had this running with no transformers...hooked it up straight to my breaker box on 240 volts for the spindle drive and the axis drives and 120 volts for all the rest.

If you look at the schematic for the Fadal single phase xformer, it is only used as a step down xformer for the electronics side of the mill. The spindle drive and axis drives are actually hooked straight to your breaker box. There are two A12 and B12 leads, one set ( A12 and B12) for the spindle and the other set (A12 and B12 for the axis drives. Both A12's go to one side of your supply and the B12's go to the other side of your supply. The C12 leads are just capped off. The leads marked A16, B16 and C16 are 120volt. The leads marked 15 are neutral.

Now mind you, my supply voltage in the garage is about 235 to 239 volts single phase. Fadal also stipulates 230-240 VAC. If you have the required measured voltage, you should be able to make the switch
    I did try that, And fans came up and the spindle drive came up. But I couldn't get dc power off the backside of the rectifier board. I checked the fuses and everything seem to check out. I'll go over again to make sure. And I did read the Fadal wiring guide and it was just making a center tap neutral, so I brought the neutral from my box over. the 120 connections did it matter if they were connected to l1 or l2?

Quote Originally Posted by pcas View Post
    I did try that, And fans came up and the spindle drive came up. But I couldn't get dc power off the backside of the rectifier board. I checked the fuses and everything seem to check out. I'll go over again to make sure. And I did read the Fadal wiring guide and it was just making a center tap neutral, so I brought the neutral from my box over. the 120 connections did it matter if they were connected to l1 or l2?
    I should have mentioned that my machine has AC servos, but, looking at the wiring diagrams for the DC amps, I see that they are 120 volts. The DC amp leads are 120 volt (should be marked C16). So the only thing that needs 230 volts is the spindle drive.
    pete

Page 2 of 2 12