587,801 active members*
3,292 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

fadal/emc/dust

This is my first time here, hope I'am doing this right. We use "Ren" board or other compostion boards frequently and our problem is removing the dust not the large chips from machine are. We have a large large vacumm system but it doesn't catch the fine dust. Thought about enclosing the whole unit which seemed a little to much.
    We are concerned that in time the ways will wear out. So is there anyone who has delt with this similar problem and have found a way to deal with this.

Define "large-Large"

Hi, If you mean a large shop vac - forget it, it won't move enough air to do it's job. If you mean that a dust collector (large motor & large impeller - 14" or so) then I would be surprised it isn't keeping up.

However, even with a dust collector, you still need to grab the dust out of the air as close as possible to the source. Is it possible to fabricate a dust skirt around the spindle? A dust skirt doesn't need to be very fancy. A possible material is converyor sweep brushes and some plastic or even aluminum. You would then connect your dust collection hose to the skirt to localize it's low presure.

Hope this helps a bit.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by sdmcaptain
    This is my first time here, hope I'am doing this right. We use "Ren" board or other compostion boards frequently and our problem is removing the dust not the large chips from machine are. We have a large large vacumm system but it doesn't catch the fine dust. Thought about enclosing the whole unit which seemed a little to much.
    We are concerned that in time the ways will wear out. So is there anyone who has delt with this similar problem and have found a way to deal with this.