587,636 active members*
3,479 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Fadal legacy (88-HS) troubles

Fadal legacy (88-HS) troubles

When we starting machining in 'Auto' mode, Fadal CNC-88 reboots, giving up 'updating memory' message. In MDI mode all functions (tool change, spindle rotation, moving by axes etc) are OK. We have changed CPU PCB, checked up power supply, all of connections and wires. All seems to be OK. Program size is about 160-170 blocks, its' a small program. Program was uploaded to control via rs232 without any problems. Im' using a standart PC for uploading program to CNC. I tried to disconnect rs232 before starting machining, but it didnt' help. I have tested rs232 with supplied test connector, all is OK. We cleared and then set up again all of parameters. All parameters are right. We also cheked the memory backup battery, and even changed CPU board to new (from Fadal factory). I think, that if this was a bad memory, then CNC wasnt' function correctly in Edit mode also, not only in Auto mode.

I know this sounds silly, but I've heard of unexplained problems occurring from leaving the RS232 plugged in for long periods. (apparently the PC constantly tries to "talk" to the CNC, even when the RS232 is not sending/receiving) The dealer's service manager recommended that I unplug the cable when not dripping, sending, or receiving.

Maybe this is worth a shot?

-Justin

first check in MDI if you have tool number 1 or any other in spindle
    if not make seto
    you wrote that you replaced the cpu card
    did you zero the memory after that
    in manual write > DI
    enter
    G0 3000
    run number 5 with dummy plug in rs232
    in page 2 you can clear all the memory but befor
    you done it upload the program
    make a note of all the parameter and backlass
    and put the number 1 tool in

We have had one fadal plugged in for 12 years with zero issues

if you have an expanded memory pcb on your cpu, then this is your problem. remove it, zero memory with DI -G0 3000- SPACE BAR- #5
    THEN #2. power down and run machine.

Quote Originally Posted by carbidecraters
    We have had one fadal plugged in for 12 years with zero issues
    I can leave a hair dryer plugged for 12 years and if I never use it I won't know its broken. Your serious though, 12 years and not one problem, nothing at all????

bubba,

shhhh!

He may not know there have been problems all along...

I'm just kiddin, I have read many posts by the carbidecritter.
    Scott_bob

May be an OS (Operating System) problem. Two machines the company bought in 98, the OS had to be down graded to 96.1B4-3 OS to fix a problem of a .100 jump on the y axis during a x axis move over 1.00 inch after a multiple z tool offset change while the machine was running. That problem OS is no longer available. (I don't remember its number but it was of the OS SYS 101.6 family of OS)

The shop has 10 fadals with OS ranging from 91.1A-2 to SYS 101.6. It is my understanding that OS 96.1B4-3 is the OS with the least number of problems for 88-HS control. We have two machines with this OS.
    Safety - Quality - Production.