587,955 active members*
3,449 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > FAG vs. No-Name Angular Contact Bearings

FAG vs. No-Name Angular Contact Bearings

I am looking for single row angular contact bearings to provide support for a 1204 ball screw. Is it worth paying more for FAG bearings or are they just overkill? Keep in mind that I am talking about a hobby router.

I can get 7200 FAGs for 13€ per piece and no-names for 4€ per piece.

Re: FAG vs. No-Name Angular Contact Bearings

Quote Originally Posted by JukeBox View Post
    I am looking for single row angular contact bearings to provide support for a 1204 ball screw. Is it worth paying more for FAG bearings or are they just overkill? Keep in mind that I am talking about a hobby router.

I can get 7200 FAGs for 13€ per piece and no-names for 4€ per piece.
    With bearings, like most anything else, you get what you pay for. It all depends on how much accuracy and precision you're wanting to get.

Quote Originally Posted by wendtmk View Post
    With bearings, like most anything else, you get what you pay for.
    Or maybe not. Found some very interesting information: http://www.smslinear.com/gifs/pdfs/R...20Bearings.pdf

Or maybe not. Found some very interesting information: http://www.smslinear.com/gifs/pdfs/R...20Bearings.pdf
    Well, that doesn't really answer your original question. Those are all name brand bearings, not no-name. I could pretty much guarantee if you bought a name brand like NSK, they'd be far better bearings than some no-name brand with who knows what kind of quality control.

It's up to you how much you're willing to spend, how much accuracy and precision you want, and what you are trying to do. A no-name may well work for one situation, but be totally inappropriate in another. Longevity, fit, smoothness, and a whole bunch of other stuff makes the difference between the cheap no-names and a quality name brand. As I said previously, you get what you pay for.

I remember once putting in some new rear wheel bearings on a car, having bought them at a local car supply store I thought i would get a decent bearing. Read the name KBC on the package an thought that sounded familiar and should be ok. They lasted 3 months, after that i went to a bearing supply house and bought skf equivalents. they were fine...

A bearing can be made anywhere in the world as long as the right quaility control and production technique's are used. Just because these factories produce for known bearing brands and or are owned by them doesnt mean they churn out a good bearing, its just a cheaper bearing, and to make items cheaper you need to skimp on something.

Quote Originally Posted by xjdubber View Post
    I remember once putting in some new rear wheel bearings on a car, having bought them at a local car supply store I thought i would get a decent bearing. Read the name KBC on the package an thought that sounded familiar and should be ok. They lasted 3 months, after that i went to a bearing supply house and bought skf equivalents. they were fine...

A bearing can be made anywhere in the world as long as the right quaility control and production technique's are used. Just because these factories produce for known bearing brands and or are owned by them doesnt mean they churn out a good bearing, its just a cheaper bearing, and to make items cheaper you need to skimp on something.
    Pretty much what I've been saying all along - you get what you pay for.