588,202 active members*
4,604 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Fanuc 10T RS232 interface

I have several CNC machines that all communicate to the same PC through a switch box. All machines but one are communicating fine in both reading and punching programs. That tells me nothing is wrong on the PC side.

I have tested the "broken" machine in one of the ports on the swich that work for other machines, so also this has been excluded as possible point of error. The cable from the "broken" machine has also been tested with a working machine and works fine.

Left is the machine itself! It is a Fanuc 10T Model A controller on a Citizen Cincom E32IIIY. In the controller there are parameters for 3 devices but I know the machine only has one. I'm not sure which one so I have set identical parameters for all 3 devices. 7/even/2/XonXoff and I have tested at both 1200 and 2400 baudrate. TVCHECK=0, PUNCH CODE=0, INPUT UNIT=0.

Is there something I'm missing? Or does this all tell me that my rs232 interface is simply broken. Does anyone have suggestions for more things to test?

In advance thank you for replying!

Regards,
    Lene Madsen

Quote Originally Posted by Lene Madsen View Post
    I have several CNC machines that all communicate to the same PC through a switch box. All machines but one are communicating fine in both reading and punching programs. That tells me nothing is wrong on the PC side.

I have tested the "broken" machine in one of the ports on the swich that work for other machines, so also this has been excluded as possible point of error. The cable from the "broken" machine has also been tested with a working machine and works fine.

Left is the machine itself! It is a Fanuc 10T Model A controller on a Citizen Cincom E32IIIY. In the controller there are parameters for 3 devices but I know the machine only has one. I'm not sure which one so I have set identical parameters for all 3 devices. 7/even/2/XonXoff and I have tested at both 1200 and 2400 baudrate. TVCHECK=0, PUNCH CODE=0, INPUT UNIT=0.

Is there something I'm missing? Or does this all tell me that my rs232 interface is simply broken. Does anyone have suggestions for more things to test?

In advance thank you for replying!

Regards,
    Lene Madsen
    Hi Lene,

I understand that you consider that the cable config and parameter settings are correct, but compare them against the following just to be sure. If communication doesn't work when set as follows, its probable that you have an issue with the control.

Regards,

Bill

Control parameter setting for Software Handshaking:
    Bit 0 TVC = 0
    Bit 1 CTV = 1
    Bit 2 ISP = 0
    Bit 3 NCR = 1
    Bit 4 EIA = 0
    #0020 = 1
    #0021 = 1
    #0022 = 1
    #0023 = 1
    #5001 = 3
    #5110 = 3
    #5111 = 2
    #5112 = Baud Rate (10 = 4800 starting point)

Machine Control Set Page Settings
    I/O = 1
    ISO Format = 1

Cable configuration for Xon Xoff (software handshaking)

Machine Side -------------- PC Side
    DB25 Male ----------------- DB9 Female
    1 --- Shield Ground ------- Not connected
    2 ---------------------------- 2
    3 ---------------------------- 3
    | Bridged
    |
    8 All Bridged
    |
    7 ---------------------------- 5

It is possible that it is a hardware fault on RS232 IC's.
    There are often two ports, one on the MB and one on the operator console.
    If so you may be able to switch over to the other port to confirm.
    If you PM me an email address I can also send the 10/11/12 RS232 manual.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thank you both for your replies.

Al: I have pm'ed you my adress

Bill: I will check those settings on monday and let you know how it goes.

I have tested the settings you suggested, but still no luck.

Is it possible to change the hardware? Does anyone know who to contact or how to about it?

Thank you all!

I have tested the settings you suggested, but still no luck.

Is it possible to change the hardware? Does anyone know who to contact or how to about it?

Thank you all!
    Tell us the master pcb part number. Follow the RS232 cable. Does it go to a pcb besides the monitor? or does it go to the master pcb?
    Do you have an alarm when trying to punch or read?
    Are you in edit mode when you try to punch or read?
    Have you tried the following parameters?
    #5001 = 1
    #5110 = 3
    #5111 = 2
    Regards
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by alexfanuc View Post
    Tell us the master pcb part number. Follow the RS232 cable. Does it go to a pcb besides the monitor? or does it go to the master pcb?
    Do you have an alarm when trying to punch or read?
    Are you in edit mode when you try to punch or read?
    Have you tried the following parameters?
    #5001 = 1
    #5110 = 3
    #5111 = 2
    Regards
    Alex
    #5001 should be set to the corresponding I/O device set in parameter#5110. If #5110 = 3, #5001 = 3. I don't believe Lene's issue is with parameter setting. I agree with Al_The_Man that's its probably a hardware fault.

Lene
    With a multi meter, check the voltage between pin 20 and and pin 7 of the DB25 connector at the control. You should see around 13VDC. If you have voltage there, purchase a RS232 line tester; these are inexpensive devices available at most good electronics shops. Put another connector, or short cable, that has pins 6, 8 and 20 bridged, as well as pins 4 and 5 bridged, between the Tester and the control then try and send a file. You should see activity on pin 2 of the tester.

From what you have posted, it seems more likely a hardware problem. Often you will see a fault with the voltage on pin 20. If you don't see the required voltage there, a work around is to connect the bridged pins 6 and 8 at the control side to pin 4 at the PC.

Regards,

Bill

I have tried all the parameters you have said and found out that I am using device nr 1 and that everything is set as it should be.

Alex: The RS232 cable goes to the pcb behind the monitor. The part number I believe is A20B-1000-0800/068 and the RS232 is connected at a place called CD1.
    There is no alarm when I try to punch from the machine to the computer and everything looks to be perfect except nothing ever arrives at the computer. I am able to read programs from the computer to the machine just not the other way around.
    I am in edit mode when transmitting.

Bill: Thank you again, I will try those things and return with an answer on how it goes.

Regards,
    Lene

What is the master pcb part number?
    Sometimes you can connect the RS232 cable that goes to CD1 in A20B-1000-0800 to the master PCB.
    You didn´t mention if you had an alarm when reading into the control.
    I would agree with Al that you have an issue with the hardware.
    Regards
    Alex

The master pcb nr is A20B-1000-0691

There are no alarms. On the monitor everything looks completely normal, both when reading and punching, only when punching no information ever arrives at the computer. I know for certain the error is not computerside since my other cnc's are communicating perfectly fine.

buy an RS232 tester with LEDs. Like this one....
    RS-232 Mini Tester With DB9 to DB25 Adapter | eBay

Plug it into the machine then punch. If the LEDs don't light up you have a hardware problem. If the LEDs light up you have a setting problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mtengraver View Post
    So complex
    Indeed

The master pcb nr is A20B-1000-0691

There are no alarms. On the monitor everything looks completely normal, both when reading and punching, only when punching no information ever arrives at the computer. I know for certain the error is not computerside since my other cnc's are communicating perfectly fine.
    A20B-1000-0691=
    FANUC AC ANALOG SPINDLE DRIVE PCB

The master pcb is the big pcb where you have other smaller pcbs plugged into it.
    I agree with fordav "buy an RS232 tester with LEDs"
    Regards
    Alex