587,735 active members*
3,491 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > fast pointers : best 3d art, alucobond, milling machin software? 1 or multiples?

fast pointers : best 3d art, alucobond, milling machin software? 1 or multiples?

HI guys,
    i know some of it has been discussed extensivly ..as i took some time to read and read ..but haven't really found many with relatively the same requirements as i do ; so here i go :

Would like help deciding which software to purchase / learn

for now CNC router with 12hp spindle and 4 axis ( 1 rotary on table )
    but will probably purchase/build a 5 axis either truniong type of bridge with 2 axis head/spindle in the next 2-4 years so i need to plan carefully

1- what is the best ART 2d/3d software ??
    mainly using pictures and drawings to carve in wood, plastics and alum
    also could be used to carve on 4th axis on cylinders or round parts

2- we will be using solidworks extensively, would've like to use a software within solidworks for all milling type operation ( aluminum and plastic parts with ok to good tolerances..nothing crazy though )

3- processing of aluminum composite panels, how do you guys do it?
    ( alubond type of panels ) need to route the groove, cut and drill holes

as i see it,
    Mastercam seems to be able to cover most of these, am i correct ?
    how is the ART section in mastercam ? how is the solidworks integration software of it ? worth it ?

i do not mind using 2 different softwares for art VS other works
    if required to get the best software

but i'd like to be able to keep it at 2 softwares, and if possible
    best would be 1 for art and 1 withing solidworks

my budget is limited only by common sense
    i buy based on value
    ( just want to point out that i do not have 50 000$ of budget..but i am not limited to 1000$ either ... cost/value will be the driven )

I personally have very limited CAM experience, but a pretty strong CAD/3d softwares.

softwares will probably be use by me and 1-2 employees
    of which one is currently working with SW at engineering uni.

thanks all for your time!

[QUOTE=JinMTVT;1077519]HI guys...

Would like help deciding which software to purchase / learn

for now CNC router with 12hp spindle and 4 axis ( 1 rotary on table )
    but will probably purchase/build a 5 axis either truniong type of bridge with 2 axis head/spindle in the next 2-4 years so i need to plan carefully

[That sounds like a pretty capable machine to start out with.]

1- what is the best ART 2d/3d software ??
    mainly using pictures and drawings to carve in wood, plastics and alum
    also could be used to carve on 4th axis on cylinders or round parts

[There's a lot of 2D software that's inexpensive, if all you want is to trace a picture. This is best done manually - all the automatic conversion software I've tried tends to make vector curves that are way too complex. The best 3D tool is actually a hardware-software system, made by Sensable Technologies Sensable, that allows you to "feel" the model as you sculpt in real time. It also has good 2D-3d conversion capablities.]

2- we will be using solidworks extensively, would've like to use a software within solidworks for all milling type operation ( aluminum and plastic parts with ok to good tolerances..nothing crazy though )

[There's a version of VisualMill that works inside Solidworks, that would do what you're talking about. It works well and is less expensive than most alternatives.]

3- processing of aluminum composite panels, how do you guys do it?
    ( alubond type of panels ) need to route the groove, cut and drill holes

[I've never tried cutting those panels, but it sounds like a job for a drill-point endmill Melin Drill Point End Mills, if you want to do all that at once.]

as i see it,
    Mastercam seems to be able to cover most of these, am i correct ?
    how is the ART section in mastercam ? how is the solidworks integration software of it ? worth it ?

[Solidworks, while it's very powerful for mechanical assembly design, isn't really oriented towards creating the complex surfaces that art work requires. Mastercam is similar - great for straightforward machining tasks, but not very art-friendly either.]

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

awerby: thanks for your time mate!

- machine as 6 tool ATC ..no need for 1 does it all tool
    - will look into visualmill as per ur recomm.
    - i'm not into artistery at all .. but i know i'll get more than a few "picture/drawing" based jobs ..so if MASTERCAM can't do it good..which one can?

ARTCAM perhaps? their demo looks great..though a bit complex to use

BEEN looking on almost all of the popular CAM software webpages/forums/features blablabla ...

and i can't find ANY software related to processing of Aluminum composite panels ( alucobond type )

what's up with that ?? i thought it was a very large type of exterior cladding in asian and euro countries ???
    why can't i find any CAM software with plugin/option/section devoted to that?

weird ..not too sure how to handle this type of work in regular softwares ..

awerby: thanks for your time mate!

[No problem, I enjoy talking about this stuff.]

- machine as 6 tool ATC ..no need for 1 does it all tool

[Then you're all set.]

- will look into visualmill as per ur recomm.
    - i'm not into artistery at all .. but i know i'll get more than a few "picture/drawing" based jobs ..so if MASTERCAM can't do it good..which one can?

[It really depends on what exactly you're trying to do. I believe Mastercam can handle engraving, but it's just a CAM program - it sounds like you really need a design (CAD) program as well.]

ARTCAM perhaps? their demo looks great..though a bit complex to use

[It's a nice program for producing 3D reliefs semi-automatically from 2D input, but they all sort of look similar to each other, IMHO. It's not exactly cheap, either.. As an alternative, you might look at the Rhino/RhinoArt/RhinoCAM bundle. RhinoArt does more or less the same thing as ArtCAM, Rhino is a full-featured, versatile CAD program, and RhinoCAM plugs into Rhino and offers the same features as VisualMill.]

BEEN looking on almost all of the popular CAM software webpages/forums/features blablabla ...

and i can't find ANY software related to processing of Aluminum composite panels ( alucobond type )

[What exactly are you trying to do with it? Cut-outs, engraving, 3D milling? I don't think any special software is required to deal with it, but since it consists of a light-weight polyethylene core clad with thin aluminum sheet, cutting it would do best with special tooling that won't just peel off the top layer. Look for cutters with upcut/downcut flutes designed for composites, like some of the ones here: Vortex Tool: Solid Carbide Bits (wood)

Engraving can be done with any tooling and software appropriate for aluminum, unless you break through the top layer. This material doesn't seem well-suited to 3D carving at all.]

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software