587,930 active members*
4,126 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Fault 123 (spindl drive fault)

Fault 123 (spindl drive fault)

I have a tm2 and over the the last few weeks keep getting fault alarm 123 (spindle drive fault) had a talk with local repair man and he thinks its the cold and damp getting into the large electrical cabinet as it only does it in the first two hours and only on 2800 rpm and above, was thinking of fitting a 20w or 40w enclosure heater in the cabinet to keep it warm and dry when i am not in the workshop.

G'day Bigbaz,

I'm getting the same alarm on my VF1.
    See: here
    Not sure if you have considered any of these reasons?
    Regards,
    Dave.
    Boulder Creek Tramway: www.smex.net.au/bouldercreek

does it happen when you decelerate your spindle? It sounds like it could be your regions

No mate, totally random when it happens. This morning, it alarmed out before I even had the spindle running. I have tested the regens and all the voltages and all ok. Looks like my vector drive is stuffed!

Regards,
    Dave.
    Boulder Creek Tramway: www.smex.net.au/bouldercreek

Thanks Web.eng for the link , haven`t got it sorted yet but i think its conneced with not getting used every day and the workshop getting very cold overnight as when i start the machine i will run spindle at 400 rpm, 800,1200,1600,2000 for about half an hour then let it run program but when it trys full 4000 rpm it trips, so i go back to 2000 rpm and have to build it up to full revs sometimes it takes 2 hours but once it takes 4000 rpm without tripping it will run all day without any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbaz View Post
    ...i think its conneced with not getting used every day and the workshop getting very cold overnight as when i start the machine i will run spindle at 400 rpm, 800,1200,1600,2000 for about half an hour then let it run program but when it trys full 4000 rpm it trips,...
    Oh you naughty, naughty boy you need a good spanking. Never, never, never run a cold machine at high rpm; always use a Warm Up program. There should be one in your machine, if not write your own. Start at 500 rpm and program a pause for a few minutes then move up to 1000, then 2000, 4000, etc with a pause in between each speed.

Haas also has a Run In program which should be used if the machine has been shut down for more than two weeks. This one has longer pauses and when it gets to the higher rpms it cycles fast and slow every few seconds.

All this is to purge the oil out of the lower spindle bearing where it accummulates when the machine stationary.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Hi Geof
    Yes thats what i do it gets about half an hour from 400 rpm upto 2000 rpm as i dont like to hear it at 4000 rpm not cutting anything, and its a tm so should be no oil sitting in bottom of spindle anyway, the hass warm up program is only 20 mins i think.

I jumped over the mention of tm2 in your first post, sloppy me. It will be thick cold grease like happens with my TL2 when it has not been running for several weeks and is cold. It groans terribly for the first fifteen minutes just running at 500 rpm then lightens up and runs fine.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.