587,180 active members*
4,977 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > FeatureCAM CAD/CAM > Featurecam with Heidenhain TNC151

Featurecam with Heidenhain TNC151

Anyone else running FeatureCAM to a Heidenhain TNC151 (Bridgeport Interact?)

Spent best part of today scratching my head why the 'conversational code' generated by the INMTCM.CNC post processor kept giving error messages. Eventually found that it was generating 'orphaned feed rates' (ie just an Fxxx on it's own on a line) when starting segments, and also outputting angles to four decimal places and the control will only accept three.

Reason for question - there are probably other issues I've not found yet !

AWEM
    Andrew Mawson
    East Sussex, UK

Hello,
    I have not used Featurecam in a while, but I used to be decent with it's post processors. I know your 4 place decimal problem can be solved in the post. After opening FC, go to manufacturing at the top of the screen, then pick post process. With your post selected, chose edit. After the edit window opens, choose CNC info, then words1. The word section is where you can control the number of decimal places to the left and right of the decimal. There are several pages of words, so it may take some looking to find all that are related to angles. The format you will see will be something like this: On the words1 page the x cooridinat is probably set to 3.4. This means 3 places to the left and 4 places to the right. If you change it to 3.3 whola!! 3 places to the left and 3 places to the right.
    As for the orphaned feed rate, is it all the feed rates, or particular to a certain type of move?
    I hope I have helped. It has been a long time .

Regards,
    Dalen Mealer

Quote Originally Posted by dmealer
    Hello,
    I have not used Featurecam in a while, but I used to be decent with it's post processors. I know your 4 place decimal problem can be solved in the post. After opening FC, go to manufacturing at the top of the screen, then pick post process. With your post selected, chose edit. After the edit window opens, choose CNC info, then words1. The word section is where you can control the number of decimal places to the left and right of the decimal. There are several pages of words, so it may take some looking to find all that are related to angles. The format you will see will be something like this: On the words1 page the x cooridinat is probably set to 3.4. This means 3 places to the left and 4 places to the right. If you change it to 3.3 whola!! 3 places to the left and 3 places to the right.
    As for the orphaned feed rate, is it all the feed rates, or particular to a certain type of move?

Regards,
    Dalen Mealer
    Dalen,

Thanks for the response - much appreciated. I've actually solved the problems I know about - I'm looking for the problems I don't know about ! (Does this sound like Rumpsfeld !!!) The feed rate was part of the 'start segment' code which I have modffied.

AWEM
    Andrew Mawson
    East Sussex, UK

Are you running automatic tool changes or manual tool change post? I also modified to the 3.3 in mine, but I had to make several changes when it came to auto tool changes. It worked fine but was making extra moves for a tool change that I had to speed up. I also changes rapid moves in the post to FMAX and several other places in the post. Sometimes it would move at feed and not max and delay a tool change.

Quote Originally Posted by GisMo
    Are you running automatic tool changes or manual tool change post? I also modified to the 3.3 in mine, but I had to make several changes when it came to auto tool changes. It worked fine but was making extra moves for a tool change that I had to speed up. I also changes rapid moves in the post to FMAX and several other places in the post. Sometimes it would move at feed and not max and delay a tool change.
    Thanks Gismo, but sadly I don't have a tool changer - oh I wish I had !!! This is a Bridgeport Interact 1.
    Andrew Mawson
    East Sussex, UK

Quote Originally Posted by dmealer View Post
    Hello,

Regards,
    Dalen Mealer
    Thanks! I had the same problem, the NC generate said F0. so i did what you said and modified the feed from 4.0 to 4.3, and now works just great.

Well I'm still flogging away at the old copy of Featurecam but the Bridgeport Interact and TNC151b are now history - gone to the ultimate resting place at the scrap yard I moved and the carrier dropped the whole shebang off a flatbead onto the tarmac - not much worth salvaging.

I'm now running a Beaver Partsmaster with a TNC355 and a 16 slot tool turret - sheer luxuary. Been adding bells and whisles - got a touch probe for tool setting - such modernity !

Blimey - 5 years since I started this thread - argh !

AWEM
    Andrew Mawson
    East Sussex, UK