588,205 active members*
4,489 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Rhino 3D > Fillet Edge Question

Fillet Edge Question

Hi All,

Got a simple fillet edge problem (file attached). Trying to fillet the top edge of a 8 sided figure. Fillet works fine if the sides are 90 degrees to the CPlane. Mine are tilted inward 30 degrees from the vertical. This results in a sharp spike at each corner and in addtion, the fillets are open at the corners. Any ideas on how to fix? Thanks in advance.

ChuckInCR
    Attached Files Attached Files

Why is this in dwg format if it's a Rhino problem? Post a .3dm file and I can help you.

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

File Attachment

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the offer of help. The reason I didn't send the Rhino file is that it is not included in the forums file attachment list. I tried to upload the file but I got an error message saying it was an invalid file.

If you can give me an email address, I will attach and send. Thanks again for your help.

ChuckInCr

You can send it to [email protected] and I will take a look at it for you.

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Try running the command MergeAllFaces on the object before you fillet edge and see if that doesn't help. Tapered extrusions are trouble spots in Rhino because it creates extra sliver surfaces in the corner, and then the fillets don't like to cross the boundaries. Instead of extrude/tapered I have a tendency to offset the curves and loft instead, but that means a series of surface operations instead of keeping the thing solid (no problem, you just have to be used to working that way. --ch

he reason I didn't send the Rhino file is that it is not included in the forums file attachment list. I tried to upload the file but I got an error message saying it was an invalid file.
    Zip the file first, then it will go