588,656 active members*
5,738 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

First cuts on new machine!!!

Here is the first cut on my new homebuilt. X-axis was mirror image of what was on the Mach2 screen. So much for all my testing!! I switched the X and Y axis, and home switches and re tried. First cut was made with a .093 solid carbide cutter and second was with a .063. I will need to slow down the cutter, I think, from 30,000 rpm. Thanks, Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails first cut.jpg   sec cut.jpg  

Next try

Here is a pic of a file I purchased from Ebay. Called Smoke. Used a Whiteside 90 deg cutter purchased from Wood Craft. Thanks. Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails smoke.jpg   v cutter.jpg   table.jpg  

Great job...congratulations on getting it finished!

Yah! Its always a thrill to make those initial cuts after bringing all your parts together into a working machine!

Thanks for the comment

It was really a big surprise when the frist cutting was a mirror image!! Working now on converting .eps and .ai files to g-code.
    Anyone have a nice easy method using AutoCad or Adobe Illustrator to make a good .dxf and the possibly into Ace? Thanks. MIke

Same p38nut?

Did you recently buy a 4 axis drive on ebay? Hard to believe there would be 2 on different sites that are both interested in DIY CNC.

If you are, can you tell me how you like the drive? I'm seriously considering this for my project.
    Steve
    DO SOMETHING, EVEN IF IT'S WRONG!

Same p38nut

I use this handle on ebay and several other places also. I got the 4 axis drive from ebay. It is from Dave Delagrange at www.dtllc.com. That's Delagrange Technologies, LLC in Ft. Wayne, IN. Board works will and is rightly priced. When I got the board, I found that the X axis output didnt work properly. I aske Dave about the warranty. He stated that since he tested every board before it went out, I probably hooked it up wrong and blew a mosfet or 2, His cost was $10 labor and a $1/ mosfet. Very reasonable cost. Since I'm only using 3 axis, I simply moved to the A axis outputs. No big deal. Dave figured the size and resistence on the ballast resistors that I needed, and has been very helpful. I highly reccommend this board and his company. BTW, I fly RC airplanes and am a P38 fanatic. I'm building a 114" wingspan model of thia. Thanks. Mike

Nevermind the Face, Let's See Some Ribs and Formers!

Hey there P38nut, I too am a R/C airplane nut (and aeroengineer) been lurking here so far. Like what you've done. I'd settle for 1/4 inch plywood max, plus balsa of course; maybe even a dremel for cutter. Any thoughts to nesting parts within standard size sheets of wood, (vacuum) chucking? I don't even have any recent CAD experience would be starting from scratch, will accept any/all recommendations. Looking forward to your airplane adventures.

V/R

Prof. Maneuver (same handle as on EZONE)

i thought you might be interested in this program.it has a utility for designing and cutting airfoils.
    http://www.cnczone.com/modules.php?n...inkinfo&id=326

R/C ribs and formers

Haven't gotten to ribs and formers yet. Cutting area size is 11"X10". I didn't really realize this until it was together and doing some testing. Tabls size is 20"X12". Problem(if there is one) is moving table design.
    I really wanted to build Bob Campbells design, but after pricing out everything, $5000 was out of my range for what I wanted to do. This fit my budget, so I built it.
    Thanks. Mike

Cuts in lexan

Here are some cuts I did in cheap lexan from the hardware store. Same problem as another cutter in that chips welded into cut channel. Will thry blowing are continuously as suggested. These are cut in reverse on .100 thick sheet. Each panel is 5"X7". Coloring is airbrush paint. Marlo is my new grandson, just over 6 weeks old!! Thanks. Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails marlo1.jpg   marlo2.jpg   wolf1.jpg   wolf2.jpg