587,189 active members*
2,560 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fit for the purpose (I think)

Hi Everyone!

Well after going through the proper channels to aqquire this and save it from the skip (!) and asking a few favours from friends to help move the thing I finally have it and havent paid a penny.

My aim is to turn it into a CNC Mill (I might even be able to add a lathe part to one half).

It uses Linear Motors (thrust tubes) in X Y and Z and Dual THK rails on each axis (with 4 roller guides per axis) except Z (although I will be modifiying Z to be able to take more strain). It also weighs a tonn!

I have all the motor drivers, powersupplys, power distribution panel and baldor din rail IO and multiaxis controllers ..... EXCEPT the dam PCI card. Still shouldnt be too hard to source one.

Current plans differ it being able to do detailed work such as pcb and engraving all the way to cutting aluminiun.

It really is the perfect start.

Im a little worried about the encoder strips being in a garage (would have put it in the house but theres no chance of it fitting through the door).

Anyway Im very busy with work and being that this is a rented property and I wownt have my own until 2007 this is going to be a long term project!

So any advice or ideas? I see alot of people using router's as they are easy to integrate - I have two intial questions:
    1). Whats the torque like at low RPM's?
    2). Nromally on a mill you have collet (spelling?) to secure the tool, are there any problems using mill cutting tools with routers (reading that it sounds like a stupid question but ill ask it anyway...)

Oh BTW I work in robotics which helps but work with high precision small scale devices nothing this large (before)

Edited to add: it doesnt weigh a tonn, figure of speech

After doing more research it is clear that I will turning this into a router not a mill but I’m a little stuck on implementing the cutter. I could mount a router on the end but the lowest RPM is in the thousands. I could get my own motor spindle bearings...etc and roll my own. I will be strengthening the Z-Axis.

Any advice?

i'd say yor definitely off to a great start , you could use a variable speed router for the spindle

Wow, that a great find to save from the skip. With a machine like that you are off to a running start.

Jason

Nice find! A little while back I picked up a pick and place machine - looks pretty similar to yours actually, for the cost of a forklift rental.

Originally I wanted to make a light duty mill out of it, but the linear motors don't supply enough force for metal (40 lb or so thrust) and it's too big. It'd probably work as a router, but I decided to keep it as a P&P instead. My plan is to use it as a "tender" robot for 2 or three minilathes. Right now it's just a workbench though.

Definitely keep us posted! I expect machines like this will be easier to find in the future...