588,210 active members*
4,085 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Fixtures and 2D contouring

Fixtures and 2D contouring

Hello all,
    I am using 2007, and have two questions:

1. When using 3D fixtures (Iges import) to hold the workpiece, the tool path does not intersect the fixtures, but there is no clearance either. How can I get clearance? In V4 it was easy, just add "stock" to the fixture. Can't find this option in 2007.

2. When using a curve that goes through a fixture in 2D contouring, the program does not take it into consideration. The toolpath goes right through! How can I get the program to avoid the fixture?

Thanks!

John

John,

You have discovered the joy of Sprutcam.

There is no easy way to provide clearance for fixtures in Sprutcam (that I've found), I draw oversized fixtures and then import. This also gives you some wiggle room for placing clamps.

I've given up on 2D and do it in 3D for tool path creation. Persistence is paying off, I'm getting good at creating work-arounds.

Although, I see it having the potential of being a nice piece of software someday.

Mark

Hello Mark, thanks for your reply.
    For the fixtures and 2D curve my workaround is to import an IGES curve, and extrude it within the program. Now you can add stock and get clearance. This is ridicilous! I would like to spend my time better than to conceive numerous workarounds for silly problems. I have contacted Sprut about these issues, and I wait for their response. Or it could be that I don't know what I'm doing.....

I agree with you, the program at first glance is great, but when using it in the real world, all kinds of "funny" things come up. Very frustrating. I hope the company sort this out, as it is now, I am reluctant to recommend this to anybody. The 2D part suxx bigtime. Trying to draw something there is cumbersome.

Just got a mail from Sprut. Future versions will have stock adding capabilities.

Fixtures

Have you tried creating a simple border around your fixture and then restricting it while creating the machining operation?
    I think in your case, if I follow you correctly, that you would sketch a border, (I usually copy these to the restrictions folder for easy management) then when you are creating the toolpath, you would assign that sketch to be a restriction (probably inner, then edge of tool). Then your toolpath will stay clear. I haven't done much 2D stuff in Sprut but from what I can tell, they definitely didn't have 2D in the forefront of their mindset when developing the program.

Willy