587,155 active members*
5,221 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Flex in X3 head

All,

I setup an indicator against the head of my x3 (was mounted to the table) and found that if I push gently on the side of the head, I get about 0.005-6" of play in it. When I stop pushing, the indicator needle goes back to where it started. Does anyone else have that much play? I have tried adjusting the Z gib, but it makes no difference.

Thoughts?

you got a bit more then the 0.002 i can still see on my x4, when tightening the gibs try pushing up and backward on the head while tightening i was able to tight the gibs about a quarter turn on mine doing so, also lapping the gibs abit helped on mine, originally mine had about 30% of contact i would recommend lapping it until you get anything in between 75%-90% but not 100% you want to leave space for oil in it, mine were actually convexe in the narrow part of the gibs that was in contact with the dovetail :nono:
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne

Thanks ataxy...

How far do you have the gib tightening screw turned in? Is it sticking out or is it close to flush with the top head?

How do you pull the gib out to inspect? Can you do it without taking the whole head off?

well i dont know how your is made but my gibs has a notch in it were the screw to tight it sit so i used s flat head screw driver to gently pry it out, my screw is entered about 1/16 in the z saddle but that is since i did the lapping before it was flush, but i guess this will varry since the precision of the gibs are so so
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne

I think you can actually rest the spindle or at least the casting down on the table or on a vise. This will take the weight off the head to ease the tightening of the gibs.
    Lee