588,619 active members*
4,316 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Flood coolant for a bandsaw

Looking for a flood coolant for 2 of my bandsaws,one is the jet 5x6 and the other is a proxxon micro bandsaw, any suggestions, when using the search function pulled up 31 pages so I gave up :withstupi
    I ve been using Kool mist 77 ,wondering there is something better?
    Also I live in the 50th and shipping is gonna be a pain unless it's aval from grainger or fastenal.
    T.I.A

Fastenal is a distributor for Valenite products, so they can get you the ValCool fluids.

Of all their coolants, the best one for a bandsaw would be a soluble oil type. The VP600 is non-chlorinated, VP650 is chlorinated. Depending upon local regulations and disposal issues, get the chlorinated VP650 if possible. It's NOT straight chlorine added as a biocide, but a complex extreme-pressure additive that would help in the low-speed high-pressure application of sawing.

A 5-gallon bucket lists at $112 (VP600) or $130 (VP650) so watch out Fastenal doesn't try to increase their margin as they are so well-known for doing.

Quote Originally Posted by PixMan View Post
    Fastenal is a distributor for Valenite products, so they can get you the ValCool fluids.

Of all their coolants, the best one for a bandsaw would be a soluble oil type. The VP600 is non-chlorinated, VP650 is chlorinated. Depending upon local regulations and disposal issues, get the chlorinated VP650 if possible. It's NOT straight chlorine added as a biocide, but a complex extreme-pressure additive that would help in the low-speed high-pressure application of sawing.

A 5-gallon bucket lists at $112 (VP600) or $130 (VP650) so watch out Fastenal doesn't try to increase their margin as they are so well-known for doing.
    Do any of these require alot of ventalation or require working with gloves? I read the msds,but looking for real world experience, oh and on fastenals site they are asking 143.96, for the vp650 5gal

Quote Originally Posted by tlyee63 View Post
    Do any of these require alot of ventalation or require working with gloves? I read the msds,but looking for real world experience, oh and on fastenals site they are asking 143.96, for the vp650 5gal
    Theives!! They must be trying to get you to pay every dime of the shipping, plus donuts for the next 3 Fridays.

Everyone is different, but personally I've never seen or heard of anyone having any adverse reaction to VP650. To aid in long life by preventing bacteria growth, a good thick is to use a small home aquarium aerator to keep things from getting stagnant. When people start having reactions to coolants (any, not just this one) it's usually because of bacteria, not the coolant itself.

BTW, the concentration level for use in your bandsaws is 10%, so a 5 gallon pail should last you a good long time. Stay on top of it by checking concentration with a refractometer. You can get one of those for well under $100 now, and it will save you you money on expensive coolant quickly. A lot of people using coolants think they're good guessers on concentration, and too late learn they're way high, wasting money. Water evaporates, coolant doesn't, so you add a lot more water to top off than you do concentrate.

And lastly, no matter what you choose to use, follow mixing instructions. The most common is "O-I-L"....Oil In Last. Add the concentrate to the full tank of clean water, then circulate it to mix thoroughly. ValCool isn't the only game in town, but at least you know the list price from the factory. Lenox has bandsaw fluids, other bandsaw makers do too. Check and see what others might have that are cheaper.

enco has a 5 gal pal for around $42 which i use and is working well,best deal around too

Any soluble oil or semi-synthetic should work fine, especially in small bandsaws that aren't being used every waking hour of the day. We use Master Chemical Trim 585, a semi-syn, in all of our CNCs, and therefore it also gets used in our 10x18 bandsaw.

A 5 gallon pail at a medium concentration of 8-10% will last forever in a 5x6 and micro bandsaw. I would consider saving some money and getting something available locally in a 1 gallon jug. I'm not sure what the Kool Mist costs you, but I've had good luck sawing with the Mobil fluids. If the Kool Mist works fine, keep using it.

Sol
    Glacern Machine Tools