588,073 active members*
5,152 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Manufacturing Processes > Safety Zone > Forklift laying beside truck

Forklift laying beside truck

It has been a long long day (nuts) .

I have a crew moving machinery at a major bearing manufuring facility..
    Machinery is metalworking, old, and very oily, sitting in oil and oozing (did I mention they are oily).
    Plant floors are oily, dock plate is oily.
    It is snowing and blowing.
    We have already transported 1 load of equipment to my warehouse.
    Truck deck is now oily.
    Got a call at 12:30 that my 12,500# capacity forklift is laying beside my Freightliner .
    No one was injured (group)
    Just finished with safety protocols, forms, testimonials, forms and cleanup.
    Very tired :tired:
    Beer store closes soon.
    More to follow
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

I'm glad that nobody was hurt... with that out of the way...

We want pictures

:cheers:

-Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by DareBee View Post
    It has been a long long day (nuts) .
    No one was injured (group)
    Not even when you got hold of the responsible party? Commendable self control!

Aren't forklifts like cows and horses? They lay down when they get tired...lol Thank god no one got hurt!

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Not even when you got hold of the responsible party? Commendable self control!
    That would not help any, especially considering it was my #1 man doing the driving (good employees are REALLY hard to find and keep).

That would not help any, especially considering it was my #1 man doing the driving (good employees are REALLY hard to find and keep).
    Absolutely correct, but how many people do you know who can take this sensible approach rather than ranting and raving. My experience is that errors are fewer with this type of approach; and it is less embarassing when you pull a boner yourself.

Here are some pics.

The operator had stopped and was placing the load, when it just started sliding slow.
    He took off his seatbelt, jumped off, walked away and then watched it fall off the truck.

As you can tell by the snow; I took this pictures a few hours after the fact.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hyster 1 smll.JPG   Hyster 4 smll.JPG  

When we reported the incident to the labour board and the got back to us (2.5hours later) and we told him that the operator jumped - he said "so he's dead then".
    Death is the usual outcome when jumping from a falling lift truck.
    In this case the jumping came well before the falling.

For those of you not trained, you are supposed to brace yourself and lean away from the direction of fall.
    It is law to wear the seatbelt if it has one and it is also law (A new one) that all lift trucks have seatbelts.
    I had to install belts on all my old units to pass this years safety check.

When we reported the incident to the labour board and the got back to us (2.5hours later) and we told him that the operator jumped - he said "so he's dead then".
    Death is the usual outcome when jumping from a falling lift truck.
    In this case the jumping came well before the falling.

For those of you not trained, you are supposed to brace yourself and lean away from the direction of fall.
    It is law to wear the seatbelt if it has one and it is also law (A new one) that all lift trucks have seatbelts.
    I had to install belts on all my old units to pass this years safety check.
    Man, Im glad he wasn't hurt.
    Robbie

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Don't care if it was falling three foot or thirty foot I Think I would not want to ride it to the ground rember wilecoyoty riding the rock over the cliff alway's seem's to go inverted just before that suddent stop called the ground no thank's Kevin P.S. Gland no one was hurt except maybe the lift

This is a good outcome but a bad situation. The operator was supposed to have a seatbelt on and was supposed to stay in the truck - as most industrial safety experts and regulations require. So, your guy was not wearing his belt and he bailed - he broke two rules. BUT - he was not injured, and I am sure that we all would agree that had he stayed on the truck, he would likey have at least broken his collar bone and gotten a concussion - maybe more. I agree with your driver - I would have bailed if time permited to do so safely.

Are you and your driver going to be in trouble over the two rules he broke? I certainly hope not, but I bet you guys will hear something about it - you would if OSHA was involved.

Unfortunate accident and I am glad to hear nobody was hurt. This could have easily killed your driver had he stayed on the truck - after all - you are required to wear a belt but not a helmet.

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by mxtras
    This is a good outcome but a bad situation. The operator was supposed to have a seatbelt on and was supposed to stay in the truck - as most industrial safety experts and regulations require. So, your guy was not wearing his belt and he bailed - he broke two rules. BUT - he was not injured, and I am sure that we all would agree that had he stayed on the truck, he would likey have at least broken his collar bone and gotten a concussion - maybe more. I agree with your driver - I would have bailed if time permited to do so safely.
    Quote Originally Posted by DareBee
    The operator had stopped and was placing the load, when it just started sliding slow.
    He took off his seatbelt, jumped off, walked away and then watched it fall off the truck.

As you can tell by the snow; I took this pictures a few hours after the fact.
    Only one rule broken, he was wearing his seatbelt. Maybe no rules broken, he exited the lift safely while it was slowly sliding and before it started to tip over.

I agree with the, 'if the fork lift is tipping hunker down and go with the flow rule', though. A concussion and/or broken collar bone is less permanent than death. Maybe not less painful, but it provides a definite chance of recovery.

Glad your #1 man is 'A-OK'.
    HayTay

Don't be the one that stands in the way of your success!

Wow, incredible that he wasn't hurt!
    A.J.L.

Don't have the lift truck back yet but it seems it has VERY LITTLE damage.
    You wouldn't ever guess it fell off a truck.
    The engine was hydrauliced but it was drained before attempting to run, no oil leaks either.

Quote Originally Posted by ajl6549 View Post
    Wow, incredible that he wasn't hurt!
    His pride was!

Glad he's ok. While not true in your case, I've seen forklift operators do alot of silly stuff.

Our resident cake winner, drove the fork lift through the break room and almost out the other side. Needless to say, he's no longer gainfully employed.

*grins*

So was the flatbed leaning/listing to the side? Is that how it(the lift truck) slid off? Or did the driver get to close to the edge or somthing?
    A.J.L.

oily tires, oily bed, and water/snow on top. Sounds scary to me. In hindsight, I would say you should put some side rails on your truck. 20/20.

Matt

We are in the process of making drop-in "curbs" out 3" channel.
    Most docks around here are of the dug-in kind - probably 3-5 degree slope. That lift truck weighs 18000# so yes the truck will lean about an inch. There have been times before when we knew it was too scary to drive on due to conditions, either it didn't seem to be an issue or just poor judgement this time.
    What's done is done.
    Load from ground more often and use our new curbs otherwise will be the rules.