588,241 active members*
4,412 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > Full size part prints using normal printer.

Full size part prints using normal printer.

Hello,

I'm currently in the planning stages of building a Guillemot kayak.

One of the recommended steps is drawing the plans at full size to make for easier building.
    I have already made quite a few of the required forms in Solidworks and would like to know if there is any way to print them at full size using a normal printer.

Thanky you

printing

hey look for a program that prints posters using a regular printer. One that I looked at was posteriza. Hope this helps.
    Rich Gillen

Quote Originally Posted by Outlander View Post
    Hello,

One of the recommended steps is drawing the plans at full size to make for easier building.
    I have already made quite a few of the required forms in Solidworks and would like to know if there is any way to print them at full size using a normal printer.

Thanky you
    Hi there yes it is possible to do this in printer setup or page setup something like that under file, put a tick in the scale box something like that it will then print it out to scale on the paper sorry to be a little fague but i dont have solidworks currently infront of me...

regards
    Richard

Hello,

Thanky you
    your question is how to get a 1:1 scale drawing printed from your standard size printer, right?

the only way i can think of doing this is to let the drawing span many pages, then tape them together.

not sure how to do this in solidworks as everything i have done to date has been scaled or is smaller than an A size sheet of paper.

if i had to guess at it, i would try making a custom drawing template that had none of the normal boxes for text. then i would make a custom size that is the needed length and width and then play with it until i got it to do what i wanted it to do, which is print out the drawing as a multipage drawing.

another way that might work would be use the above steps until the print phase, where you could try making a pdf and then printing the pdf.

hope that helps.
    -Jeff

I's be careful using poster software to accomplish what you are trying to do. Your best bet is to find someone with a large printer (24-36 inches wide) these printers are meant to print to scale, and when on roll papper, can print quite large prints. Maybe you know an architect or a draftsperson?

Another approach would be to print to 24x36 inch PDF's and take them to Staples and have them printed there. Watch them though, even when you ask to them to print to scale, sometimes they screw it up. (Put a little scale in the drawing to check)

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by apache405 View Post
    your question is how to get a 1:1 scale drawing printed from your standard size printer, right?

the only way i can think of doing this is to let the drawing span many pages, then tape them together.

not sure how to do this in solidworks as everything i have done to date has been scaled or is smaller than an A size sheet of paper.

if i had to guess at it, i would try making a custom drawing template that had none of the normal boxes for text. then i would make a custom size that is the needed length and width and then play with it until i got it to do what i wanted it to do, which is print out the drawing as a multipage drawing.

another way that might work would be use the above steps until the print phase, where you could try making a pdf and then printing the pdf.

hope that helps.
    Here is a link to a program that I've successfully used to print drawings for r/c aircraft. Begin by printing one page to adjust to scale. I just checked the print against a laser cut part from the kit. Once the scale is set correctly, you can print the remainder of the page. The program prints glue/tape margins as a feature.

http://www.grandutils.com/PosterPrint/

The drawing I printed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0001.jpg  

Print 1:1 in SolidWorks

Yes you can print 1:1 in SolidWorks. Start by selecting print under the file menu or pressing ctrl+p. Next, under the "print range" section, select "selection" and click "OK". In the dialog box that appears, pick the scale that you require but don't hit "OK" just yet. Drag the frame that shows up on your drawing or model to the section you would like to print, then click "OK"

Good Luck.

Search your local yellow pages for a blue print service. This is becoming very popular these days. You can e-mail them a file and pick up your full scale drawing on roll feed or whatever size you need. The one in our area charges about 50 cents a square foot. So a 4' x 8' print would only cost $12. For your purposes, it will e much better than pasting together a bunch of small sheets.

You could also try going to a sign shop. You'll find quite a few that run paper in their sign plotters for installation patterns.

Most can use dxf or dwg files and shouldn't have any problem nailing the scale.

In COREL I lay down a 1/2" grid, group it to the whole drawing and then move the drawing around in the frame with vertical steps of 10" and horizontal steps of 7.5" (or the like) I then just printed each frame out. The grid helps in alignment when I taped the sheets together.

I also have gone to Staples with a CD but like toaster55 I've had them print-to-fit rather than as is. Trouble is the next time it's a different 'associate' so you start all over again.

Hello,

Thanky you
    I'm assuming you want to print full size 3 view drawings of a part. If you look through the Solidworks print menus, or maybe the Windows menu for your specific printer you may find an option for printing to fanfold paper. By selecting the right size sheet for the drawing and the right selection for printing fullsize to a sheet it may print the drawing in one or more strips that can be easily taped together.

Otherwise, Turbocad will do this, as will a number of other low end CAD programs. The poster print software mentioned essentially does the same thing.

Thank you for all of your replies. I didn't know that print shops could handle dxf and dwg files that sounds like the best solution as i didn't really want to have to glue a bunch of sheets together and mess up the measurements.

Thanks again

Hi Outlander,
    Sounds like the Blueprint approach would be ideal , I'll remember that for myself later.
    If you get a choice , pay a little more for "vellum" or "onionskin" rather than paper as the size is more stable (see next paragraph).

One final note, if you are going to use the drawings as patterns, ensure you put check dimensions against each part, one along the the paper and one across the paper. And double check these dimensions within hrs of making the part. The problem is that the size of paper changes with humidity, and is generally different according to the grain direction. I think it expands a couple of percent at high humidity.

We use a HNC method here occasionally (Human Numerical Control), where we print off a sheet metal part as a full page label, (can just use Elmers? stick glue on larger sheet too) stick it to the metal, cut, fold and drill on the lines, then remove the label with WD40 or RP7, saves a lot of marking out time by the guys in the shop. Problem with this approach is you have to print the label off, do a check measurement, then run down to the shop and stick it before it changes size, it typically shrinks a bit when first cooling down, but will then change with humidity, don't expect to hold much better than 0.020" over a letter size page.
    The same method works a treat when making holes in a plastic box for mounting electronic items like knobs and buttons, as normal marking out methods don't work so well on plastic boxes with draft and rounded edges.

Cheers, bobT ,

Well most printers are designed to work with the A4 is 21cm wide. It may depend on the model, but 12.5 would not be wide enough so that they can grab and pull him in. wide matches B6 format. Maybe you can check some online printer specifications to see if they can work with him.