588,197 active members*
4,844 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Fun Day :) Pay attention to 6061 Tempers
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Fun Day :) Pay attention to 6061 Tempers

[QUOTE=Steve Seebold;1866644]

Then, I break out the chop saw. Yep, I use a 7 1/4 or a 10 inch Craftsman chop saw for cutting large bars of material (a large bar being anything over 1/2 X 3). The ONLY thing wrong with using the chop saw is, it makes one hell of a mess in a big hurry.

Steve, Could you describe your craftsman chop saw? Is it a dedicated abrasive wheel metal cutting saw, or a carpenter's miter saw with metal cutting blade?
    Thanks, Mark

[QUOTE=oneineight;1869026]
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post

Then, I break out the chop saw. Yep, I use a 7 1/4 or a 10 inch Craftsman chop saw for cutting large bars of material (a large bar being anything over 1/2 X 3). The ONLY thing wrong with using the chop saw is, it makes one hell of a mess in a big hurry.

Steve, Could you describe your craftsman chop saw? Is it a dedicated abrasive wheel metal cutting saw, or a carpenter's miter saw with metal cutting blade?
    Thanks, Mark
    I use the Craftsman Miter saw with a carbide tipped blade. For most of what I do, the 7 1/4 inch saw works fine, but like I said, "IT MAKES ONE HELL OF A MESS IN A BIG HURRY".

I will usually get a 24 inch cube box and put the saw in it to catch 75 to 90% of the mess.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

John Saunders is using a FastCap chip catcher for his Dewalt DW872 14-in (?) metal cutting saw and seems to like it, though it seems to take up a lot of floor space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY4TQKk6i8s

at ~1:45.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    John Saunders is using a FastCap chip catcher for his Dewalt DW872 14-in (?) metal cutting saw and seems to like it, though it seems to take up a lot of floor space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY4TQKk6i8s

at ~1:45.
    Curious how he made that fence for his saw. Looks like he lost the clamp. I've been planning to make one and film it but still retain the material clamp just beef the base up

Quote Originally Posted by WOTDesigns View Post
    Curious how he made that fence for his saw. Looks like he lost the clamp. I've been planning to make one and film it but still retain the material clamp just beef the base up
    I used a Brilliant 14 " chop saw to cut stainless tube in the shop, rarely used the clamp, just held the stock by hand against the fence.
    I used a 5 gallon bucket hung on the back of the saw to catch the grit, that worked very well.
    It would make a super mess in the shop without the bucket, the grit and metal were heavy enough to stay in the bucket.
    mike sr

Page 2 of 2 12