587,913 active members*
4,011 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > G0704 -- I'm caving and buying a conversion kit -- but which one?

G0704 -- I'm caving and buying a conversion kit -- but which one?

Ok, so I've had my mill 18 months and made about half the parts from Hoss' phase 1 plans. Just been busy with other projects and socal has had some abnormally good weather (ocean was warm enough to swim for 6 months last year). The Hoss plans and making parts was well worth it just to figure out how it all works.

But anyway, the point was to do stuff with a CNC mill and I'm tired of being a slacker. So now that I'm just whipping out my wallet, what should I get?

The cncfusion.com kit is about $1k and comes with ball screws and has been available for a long time. I think it's roughly equivalent to a Hoss phase 2 conversion. Is there a better option than this?

Of course I need motors and drivers... was thinking maybe this Automation Technologies kit? Though the cncfusion kit doesn't have a mount for NEMA34 on the Z axis so I might need to piece this together with a substitute Z motor.

High-Torque Stepper Motor, Stepper Motor, Driver, Stepper Motor kit, DC Servo Motor, DC Servo Motor kit, Stepper Motor Power Supply, CNC Router, Spindle, and other Components. Stepper Motor | Stepper Motor Driver | CNC Router | Laser Machine | 3D Prin

Thanks for the advice.

Re: G0704 -- I'm caving and buying a conversion kit -- but which one?

Grizzly G0704 CNC Ball Screw Kit with Hand Fitted Ball Nuts 0015" Backlash | eBay

He is also a member on here and might sell direct if you ask.

I remember hearing about people having to wait awhile to get a kit from cncfusion.com (back logged)

Andrew

Yep real nice kit....

PM me if you wand a discount
    youtube videos of the G0704 under the name arizonavideo99

Sent you a PM with a couple questions. Looks like a great kit. For some reason I'm not seeing PM's in my sent box so if you don't get anything from me let me know...

Go with Arizona's kit. I went with the AT kit and was very disappointed. Cast parts still covered in blasting sand, ball nut cut down on the screw with a grinder (mega debris on screw and in nut), missing fasteners and bearing, poor fit overall... I could go on, but I'm sure you get the idea. Could have been a one off, but if I was you I wouldn't chance it. I'm in the process of replacing all the part except the screws and nuts. That pretty much says it all right there...

I have a CNC Fusion conversion. One thing I would ask both vendors is how much travel can you expect on each axis. I was a little disappointed with the X/Y travel on my machine. I wound up with 6.25 on the Y and ~18" on the X. I think the X could have been more like 20" if he had moved the coupler out from under the table.

I am not sure where the statement CNC Fusion has had a kit out for a long time. More like everyone wanted CNC Fusion to have a kit out for the 0704. They were so late to the party I figured Grizzly would have had a bigger better mill by then. I had heard good things about them but they were always in regards to other machines.
    BD Tools seemed the one with earliest built kit. Of course Hoss was the inspiration for it all but he didnt offer actual parts.
    A lazy man does it twice.

Well, I bought mine at the end of 2012. So they've been around for a while. I didn't really care who was first. His parts looked great and the kit was well thought out. arizona's kit looks very nice and his price is 20% lower. That seems like a win to me.

I was not implying Michael's was negative in any way. He being in Houston and my desire for instant gratification could have worked out but the timing was slow.

I am also impressed with BD's fit and finish. Nice work all the way around. Arizona's appear to be very well done too. What a problem, choices?
    A lazy man does it twice.

If Arizona had his kit out at the time that I was looking - then I'd certainly have bought it . It looks good and well thought out
    I fell short on time to do my own kit and I bought the kit from cncconversion . Long story short , it's far from impressive and is flat out monkey work !!
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Arizona should be shipping me a kit this week. Excited to finally make some progress on this mill. Thanks for the input guys.

I finished the ebay orders today and all the parts are done for yours but I still need to re pack the screws. Perhaps another late night.
    youtube videos of the G0704 under the name arizonavideo99

Hey take the night off, I've got some projects I'm still finishing up. If it ships Monday it's no biggie.

I'll 3rd or 4th the recommendation for Arizona's kit. Everything was well made, well designed and well finished. It is all working great
    Q: How many tools does it take before a simple task becomes a project?
    A: Just one. I'm the Tool that turns a simple task in to a project.

Have you decided on the motor kit yet? AT kit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk