588,235 active members*
4,437 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

G540 Random Faults

I`m having a hard time getting my new Taig mill with Gecko 540 from DeepGroove1 working reliably. I`ve been having a lot of problems with random faults. I thought I`d cured them yesterday by disabling the 2nd CPU and Hyperthreading, and have been able to make 3 quite complicated pieces (5 hours, 30 minutes, and an hour run time respectively), but now its faulting again about 20 minutes into a job. I`m using EMC, on a Xeon 2.8Ghz CPU (same as a Pentium IV but supports dual CPUs). Any ideas? What does the fault light actually indicate?

Do you maybe have really thin serial cables going to your motors? I found that the 25ft and 20ft cables I had originally planned to use would cause random faults while moving. Motors were not attached to the table. As soon as I made up some proper cables with 18awg wire, my problem went away.

The deepgroove1 supplied cables are 22 gauge. Maybe I`ll try taping down the cables so that the end going to the db9 connectors does not wiggle.

Still faulted. It looks like it faulted at the exact same place in the program though?

Meh, now it faults on a program that it was able to complete yesterday.

I was taking the gecko unit out of the controller box to return to DeepGroove1, and the ground wire fell out without me unscrewing it. I re-mounted the gecko upside down so I could get to the terminals easily, secured all the wires, and it has run for about 7 hours without faulting so far..

Random Fault light

I am having the same problem. Was the loose wire the problem?
    I've checked wires and still no luck.

Ideas?

Many thanks

Bill

A loose wire inside the cable was one of my problems, I also found a loose wire inside the controller box, where the wires screw into the gecko. If you pull on them they shouldn't fall out. I then proceeded to have lots more problems that were eventually solved by pointing a fan at the back of the Gecko. Hope this helps!