587,990 active members*
5,658 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 5 of 5 345
    Quote Originally Posted by Claytonc View Post
    Well.. You nailed it again... It appears that it IS the E-Stop switch after all! I swear I hit the estop and the light in Mach started flashing. But placing the jumper between 10 and 12 fixed the problem. Motors lock and I can now move all axis's. Thank you so much. I am relieved that its not the 540.
    Ok, I've got to get cutting! WOO HOO!!

Have you finished all of those gifts yet????????????

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Well... Today was the day I was going to get started on my projects but of course I'm having issues... This time the spindle relay output 1 and 2 do not seem to be working. I've checked in Mach and the spindle relay is set to 17. I tried setting it to 1 (output 2) but that didn't do anything either... I put an volt meter on it and I am not getting any output from the G540 on output 1 or 2 when turning on the spindle in mach.... I swear... This has to be an issue with the gecko... I hope not but... What do you think?

Well... Today was the day I was going to get started on my projects but of course I'm having issues... This time the spindle relay output 1 and 2 do not seem to be working. I've checked in Mach and the spindle relay is set to 17. I tried setting it to 1 (output 2) but that didn't do anything either... I put an volt meter on it and I am not getting any output from the G540 on output 1 or 2 when turning on the spindle in mach.... I swear... This has to be an issue with the gecko... I hope not but... What do you think?
    Sorry to hear of yet more problems. My three machines have been kept simple so as to avoid problems like this. I only use a simple Z zero setter. For now, I would recommend bypassing the relay and use the spindle manually. The relay operation is a convenience and is not a necessity. After the pressure to make these gifts is over you can deal with the relay issue.

The relay setting in Mach3 may be one that you must save in Mach3, close Mach3, and re-open Mach3 before the change is fully recognized.

CarveOne
    CarveOne

Yup, I always close and reopen Mach after changing settings. I will do the manual spindle for now but on jobs where there are several tool changes it's nice to hear the machine shut off when its time. Also when the job is done it shuts down and I don't have to worry about it.

Yup, I always close and reopen Mach after changing settings. I will do the manual spindle for now but on jobs where there are several tool changes it's nice to hear the machine shut off when its time. Also when the job is done it shuts down and I don't have to worry about it.
    I know all about forgetting to do a Z zero after tool changes....
    And forgetting to turn on the router....

I have ger21's latest 2010 screen set files but so far they haven't installed themselves yet.... )I'll be installing it on my smaller steel machine's computer very soon though.)

CarveOne
    CarveOne

Just checking to see if you had any problems getting the gifts made in time. Didn't have any new problems with the G540 did you?

CarveOne
    CarveOne

Hey thanks for asking Carveone. Well, almost... I got all the lithophanes and light boxes cut but didn't have enough power supplies... So... I was unable to get them done for the people before Christmas. Fortunatly they understood and are happy to get them after Christmas

As far as the G540 goes I did have another problem. Gecko said that it was tested and working 100% before it left them. The problem is, my spindle relay is no longer working. I have the whole garage in a mess right now and I'm unable to even get to my CNC machine. I'm going to work on it all this weekend (hopefully).

Hey thanks for asking Carveone. Well, almost... I got all the lithophanes and light boxes cut but didn't have enough power supplies... So... I was unable to get them done for the people before Christmas. Fortunatly they understood and are happy to get them after Christmas

As far as the G540 goes I did have another problem. Gecko said that it was tested and working 100% before it left them. The problem is, my spindle relay is no longer working. I have the whole garage in a mess right now and I'm unable to even get to my CNC machine. I'm going to work on it all this weekend (hopefully).
    Very good. Glad to hear it.

I guess you can use a voltmeter to see if the G540 output pin for the relay is toggling on command from the computer. It should be regular 5v logic levels. It could also be a Mach3 setting getting changed for some unknown reason.

CarveOne
    CarveOne

I changed to a 48v PS and the relay for the spindle was 24v. I now have a 48v but not installed just yet. It ran all the jobs (on and off's) but that was before I sent the G540 in for repair (bad connections on terminal blocks). Since Mach and the 540 are toggling ground, I tested continuity from output1 and 2 to ground on the power supply. I got nothing, no mater the settings (17 or 1) in Mach, and or on output 1 or 2...

My garage is a wreck and I can’t even get to my machine without great effort. I sold a bunch of stuff and made some room but its wrecked. I plan on getting it mostly set up on Sunday. Maybe then I will get a chance to test it more.

Your garage condition sound pretty normal to me!!

Completely off topic but I just ordered a Bosch 1617EVS 2 1/4 hp router, router mounts, and a SuperPID and various accessories for it. Cant wait to tear it all apart and start rebuilding in aluminum. Hell, I almost have as much in this upgrade as I do in the whole machine.. Anyway, its fun and It will then start to 'look' a little more professional. It will also be more sturdy, accurate, quite, etc. At least thats the hope.

Completely off topic but I just ordered a Bosch 1617EVS 2 1/4 hp router, router mounts, and a SuperPID and various accessories for it. Cant wait to tear it all apart and start rebuilding in aluminum. Hell, I almost have as much in this upgrade as I do in the whole machine.. Anyway, its fun and It will then start to 'look' a little more professional. It will also be more sturdy, accurate, quite, etc. At least thats the hope.
    You haven't wasted any money on those items. Get the PreciseBits.com precision collets and 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 inch nut set for it. Worth every penny.

CarveOne
    CarveOne

Thanks, it feels like a good move. About the I guess that just gives you the option to use any sized shank bit right? If thats all it does then it seems a bit steep at $200 bucks. I'm pretty psyched about getting a 1/4" and 1/2" cullets with the router. I already have an 1/4" to 1/8" adapter so i'm good on that end.

Thanks, it feels like a good move. About the I guess that just gives you the option to use any sized shank bit right? If thats all it does then it seems a bit steep at $200 bucks. I'm pretty psyched about getting a 1/4" and 1/2" cullets with the router. I already have an 1/4" to 1/8" adapter so i'm good on that end.
    The collet/nut system has much lower run-out than the standard factory parts, which is good for the router bearing life, and the cut accuracy is probably better as a result. They are not the same size and threads for all routers, so if you change to other routers you may need to buy another nut or a complete set. My PC7518 uses a different set than my Hitachi M12VC. If your bits frequently seize up in the adapter, these are the cure. The precision collet/nut set "ejects" the bit when you remove the nut.

For the 1/8" carbide bits that have a few thousandths cutting diameter it's especially critical to have these sets. Keep these in mind for later consideration if you feel the need to. All of the add-on stuff has to be prioritized in most of our budgets.

CarveOne
    CarveOne

Page 5 of 5 345